Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bios Update

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 adrummond

adrummond

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 09 June 2007 - 01:37 PM

Questions -
I downloaded an updated version of BIOS for my laptop recommended by HP. I am using version F.07 (dated 2005) and the new version was F.17 (dated 2006) following the prompts I saved to desktop, ensured all applications were closed and the computer was on AC power supply. I opened, ran, and installed. Following restart a windows error appeared that a critical error occured and prompted me to report the issue, I opted not to and everything seemed to run OK. I again restarted and entered set-up to verify change to BIOS and noticed that the new BIOS had not been installed and I was still using V F.07 which struck me as curious since it appeared to install correctly with the exception of the windows error. Any comments to this curious matter?

One may ask why I would feel it was necessary to update BIOS - the reason was a recommendation from HP as a result of my laptop's need to run the fan constantly, overheat, and then shut down. Following web research I found that Compaq laptops including my Presario V4000 had a habit of overheating and shutting down at the 2 to 3 year mark (just like mine). According to some this is a result of a computer defect related to the heat sink screws loosening and not seating correctly which results in overheating (this statement remains unconfirmed on my part). I did inspect the heat sink and I didn't notice any issue and didn't feel compelled to remove at that point in time. I also checked the fan which didn't appear to be overly impacted by dust. The fan runs OK if not all the time, but still the overheating. Does replacing the heat sink and fan seem the best option in this case or does updating BIOS seem the best solution?

I am not competent with BIOS if not a little leery of making drastic changes and updates but the overheating issue is becoming particularly troublesome and disconcerting. Please comment.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 10 June 2007 - 08:19 AM

BIOS updates are best installed in small increments - a leap from F.07 to F.17 implies that there were 10 BIOS revisions in between. I'd suggest upgrading to F.10, then F.14, then F.17

Although flashing the BIOS is a dangerous thing, replacing the fan and heatsink can be also be a problem (and may not solve the issue).

Finally, since you've got some evidence of a problem with the heatsink screws - how's about just checking them to see if it's the issue?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 adrummond

adrummond
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:04 PM

I appreciate your input and will attempt smaller BIOS upgrade increments as your suggested. I agree that the heat sink and fan replacement are a challenge but even checking the backside of the heat sink is too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users