Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Update Windows Xp

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 devanert

devanert

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 09 June 2007 - 07:26 AM

I had posted on the HJT forum and papakid came to the conclusion that it wasn't a malware issue. Here is a link to that log.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/91292/cannot-update-windows-xp/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 09 June 2007 - 07:49 AM

Check your Event Viewer for error messages and let us know what you find. Go to Start...Run...and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Try this free utility to re-register your Windows Update files: http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix#Standard_version
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 devanert

devanert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2007 - 04:52 PM

There is six log files: Application (application error records), Security (security audit records), System (system error records), Antivirus (custom log error records), Internet Explorer (custom log error records), and Media center (custom log error records).

Media Center and Internet Explorer logs are empty. The Antivirus is filled with Avast stuff. Information events that say the "virus database was updated" and a couple warning events.

The system log has information events about the Pml driver entering the "stopped state" or the "running state" and warning events that have this in the description:

Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0016175E35A2. The following error occurred:
The operation was canceled by the user. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

The Application log has mainly information files about Security Center and iPod Service. There are also warnings that say:
Windows saved user GATEWAY\Owner registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

I wasn't able to try the freeware yet because I have to restart my computer so the web site comes up correctly.

#4 devanert

devanert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2007 - 09:23 PM

I ran dial a fix. I selected the following:

Default selections:
Fix SSL/HTTPS/CRYPTSRV
and all associated boxes

Under Registration Center
Programming cores/runtime

and then I selcted
Fix Windows Updates and all associated boxes

#5 devanert

devanert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2007 - 09:33 PM

I ran windows update and the following failed, or were not installed:

Security Update for Windows XP (KB925902)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB931784)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB930178)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB931261)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB932168)
Update for Windows XP (KB935448)
Update for Windows XP (KB930916)
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB931768)
Update for Windows XP (KB927891)

Some fail to download and the ones that do download fail on the install.

#6 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2007 - 12:02 AM

do this
start/my computer/open c:drive/open windows folder/scroll to windows update notepad/delete windows note pad confirm delete

do an atuomatic windows update ....if you cant do a manual windows update....
if update fails ....then go to my computer/open c:drive/open windows folder/scroll to windows update notepad/ an error report should be generated copy and paste the report here

the stop error will show in the new notepad

any time programs or microsoft fails.....notepad records the failures or the succession of program launches or updates

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2007 - 07:33 AM

Maybe try this free tool (haven't used it myself): http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Windo...ol/1123680932/1

Have you scanned for malware? If not, here's some good, free online scans:
http://safety.live.com
http://housecall.trendmicro.com
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 devanert

devanert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2007 - 05:15 PM

I cannot delete that file. I get a message telling me that it is in use by another person or program. I hit Cntrl-alt-del and closed the only program running, tried again and got the same message.

As far as Malware. I kinda covered that in my previous forum with papakid. He's pretty sure I'm clean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users