Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Delete File: Cannot Read From The Source File Or Disk.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 nogginbc

nogginbc

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 09 June 2007 - 06:20 AM

Yo. This is my first post lets see what happens...

Here's the deal.

My buddy accessed a shared folder on my PC and uploaded some production tools to it. He uses a MAC.

So now I have this file called "._spooky tambo shake "

The problem is, if I try delete, rename, move, or do anything for that matter to the file I get an error message "Error deleting file or folder: Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk."

I've tried using command prompt to delete the file but it doesn't even show up if I type "Dir"

Properties for the file are zero everything.

I've tried a program called KillBox but even that can't do it.

Help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 09 June 2007 - 06:35 AM

But before you delete that we need to know about the file first
Im not sure if its malware or a system file

So now I have this file called "._spooky tambo shake "

:thumbsup: Just want some more info on that file (for a close up) what does the icon look like?
On what folder is it located?
(And if possible,give us a screen shot of it)
Also where did you get this file in the first place?
What type of file is it (If you go back to properties)
It really sounds to me more likely renamed
Also searched it in the internet,I can't find any info about it

Edited by Commander Gman, 09 June 2007 - 06:41 AM.

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#3 nogginbc

nogginbc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2007 - 07:00 AM

The file came from a bunch of production tools and samples (ie, used to make music with reason/logic etc).

It's not a system file or anything like that. It must just go because it's irritating me!

I've managed to rename the nested folders. It's path (including file) is "d:\production\a\a\a\._spooky tambo shake "

Spook tambo shake as in Spooky Tambourine Shake! That's the audio sample I suppose but it doesn't work.

#4 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2007 - 07:04 AM

Ok try Unlocker
right click on the file then select "Unlocker" from there a window appears then click on the drop down arrow then select delete then click ok
Tell us the results

Edited by Commander Gman, 09 June 2007 - 07:06 AM.

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#5 nogginbc

nogginbc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2007 - 07:21 AM

Wow. Like an absolute dream! Thanks so much!

#6 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2007 - 07:25 AM

You're welcome nogginbc
Glad to be of help :thumbsup:

#7 fer43

fer43

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:40 PM

I have the same problem, I already tried UNLOCKER with no result, I moved the file to the Quarantine folder, originally it was a hidden file from IE5. The file is causing defragment problems, with the message "disk defragmenter cannot continue prescan because there is a corruption in file c:\ Quarratine\ZYGR0UM2.
The folder ZYGR0UM2 has 2 files inside, can't see the attributes. One of the files appears with 4 kb but properties shows 0, there is no extension and the name is a little square ( no name, just the symbol of a square), the other file's name is "mzÉ" with 0 kb, no extension. Can't delete the files. I don't know where the file came from. But it started in C:\WINDOWS\Local
>Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5, when a tried to defrag, with the same defrag problem. I was not able to find the file until I used killbox, but was not able to delete it.
What can I do? I already tried chsdsk /f, cleanning manager, etc. nothing worked.

Thanks for your help, in advance

Attached Files

Edited by fer43, 26 March 2009 - 01:46 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,819 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:57 PM

Whatever program created the Quarantine folder...ought to be able to dump quarantined items.

If they are quarantined...that means something identified them as malware items.

I'd try running SUPERAntiSpyware.com - AntiAdware, AntiSpyware, AntiMalware! - http://www.superantispyware.com/

Louis

#9 fer43

fer43

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:22 PM

thanks Louis for your interest, the folder was crated by MCafee virusscan enterprise, but does not detect anything wrong.
I already tried super antispyware. Anyway I was not able to remove the file.
Any other suggestions?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,819 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:07 PM

As I said...open McAfee and purge the contents of the Quarantine folder.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users