Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which scanner pen is the best ?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 oldsoldier

oldsoldier

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 20 January 2005 - 07:44 AM

Has anyone used Scanner Pens ? My OS is Windows XP Professional and I use Word in Microsoft Office 2000 Professional. I have lots of documents to transcribe and my typing is not as good as it was. A carpel tunnel operation on each wrist helped enormously but I still find that typing from a paper document to a Word document to be very frustrating. Once upon a time I was a rapid and accurate two finger typist but now those fingers often hit two keys instead of one and I waste time making corrections. I have read professional reviews of the IrisPen Professional Text Recognition Pen Scanner; the Iris Pro9; the Wizcom Infoscan Pen; the Wizcom Superpen Professional; and the Wizcom Quickline Pen Handheld Scanner, and still cannot make my mind up which would be the best buy. The majority of my documents are old and are handwritten - letters etc, so I know that they will have to be transcribed by two fingers, but others are printed and a scnner pen could make life a lot easier. I have a spare fast usb port and one of those slower pinned ports, cannot think of its name. I would also like to scan books away from home and download their information into Word documents, but that is not a high priority. I can fetch books home and do it there. Are storage pens, which can be carried in a pocket to a library, better than the scan and directly download pens which need a connection through a USB port to the computer while the scanning is in progress, or vice versa ?
Your opinions and advice will be greatly appreciated.
PS. Bleeping Computer Forums are fantastic but I waste a hell of a lot of time reading their items every day.
Yours sincerely, oldsoldier.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 23 January 2005 - 10:42 AM

I found this excellent review on pens in general:

http://www.epinions.com/content_135753010820