Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Messages On Limited User Accounts Only

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jkak

Jkak

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 08 June 2007 - 09:31 PM

Ok so here is the problem..

I am brand new to this website and don't know too much about computers and fixing them, but I will try my best to explain this problem as clearly as possible. I am using windows XP Home edition. For the past few weeks, whenever I log into a user account, a bunch of error messages pop up right away. They say, "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000022) Click on OK to terminate the application."
The first one that pops up says ccApp.exe, then the 2nd one says osCheck.exe and the third one says PIFSvc.exe. When I click on the AOL icon, I am unable to use it because another error pops us that says aol.exe with the same error message as the ones before. The same also happens when I click on the icon for Norton Internet Security and it says uistub.exe. I am unable to use any of these programs.

I am aware that uistub.exe , PIFSvc.exe , ccApp.exe , and osCheck.exe are all related to Symantec and Norton but I have no idea how to fix these problems and stop these error messages from popping up.
I temporarily fixed the AOL error message by searching for aol.exe on my computer and sending the icon to my desktop to create another shortcut. When I click on that icon, aol loads and works fine. However, I am unable to delete the old AOL icon and the error messages still pop up for the old icon and won't allow AOL to load.

I know many of you will tell me to get rid of Norton completely, but I am afraid I won't do that right now, considering I JUST renewed my subscription and don't want it to go to waste. I do agree now that is isn't worth the money and will remember that next time. However, for now, I just need another solution that doesn't involve me deleting Norton completely.

I've been trying to solve this for days but can't seem to find anything that works. I saw on another website, someone else had the same exact problem and was told to:

1. Go to the command prompt - i.e click "Run", type in "cmd" - without the quotes - then press enter.

2. In the big black window (expand it), type after the prompt character (>)

>cd \ press Enter
>cd windows\system32 press Enter
>cacls msvc*.71 press Enter

You should get a list of file access permissions for at least two files - msvcp71.dll and msvcr71.dll.
Have a good look and check whether this includes "BUILTIN\Users:R" for the above files.

next

>exit press enter

However, when I tried this, and typed in cacls msvc*.71 , it came up saying "The system cannot find the file specified"
So I don't know what to do next. I also found someone that said to run a windows program to look for damaged or corrupted windows files by going to start>run>and type sfc /scannow. I inserted my windows XP cd as it said and had my computer scanned. I am guessing it didn't find any errors since I was not prompted to do anything else when it finished.

I have spent days searching for a solution but nothing seems to be working. Please please please someone help me. I don't know what else to do. These errors only occur on limited user accounts and the guest account. When I am logged in as Admin, everything works fine and my Norton works too. On the other user accounts, the Norton symbol doesn't even show in the bottom right corner of the desktop. Please help!

Thank you.

Also, last night when I shut down my computer from a limited user account, I received the error message stating:
Microsoft.Net Framework
An unhandled exception has occured in a component in your application. Click continue and application will ignore this error and attempt to continue Object referencer not set to an instance of an object

(If that makes any sense).. also, my computer didn't shut down. The screen just turned black but nothing happened. I ended up having to press the button by myself to turn off the computer. This usually doesn't happen.

Help please!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2007 - 07:34 AM

Yep, I'll tell you to get rid of Norton also BUT it's your choice if you go back to it or not. :flowers:
I believe that your Norton is corrupted and needs to be replaced or fixed. It's your choice - either waste the money on the subscription or waste your time fixing problems like this. We can recommend good, free replacements for the security apps that you're currently using.

First, I would uninstall all of the Norton/Symantec stuff on the system using the Add/Remove Programs applet in Control Panel.

Then, I would run the Norton Removal Tool (free from here: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039 ) This is essential to remove all traces of what's likely to be causing the problem.

Then you can either reinstall the Norton :thumbsup: or you can install the free apps that we recommend.

Here's my list of recommended free programs:
AntiVirus: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/28415/lng/us/tpl/v5
AntiSpyare: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/20/lng/us/tpl/v5
Firewall: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Sygate_Personal_...Free_d3356.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Jkak

Jkak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2007 - 02:34 PM

If I uninstall my Norton and then use the Norton Removal tool, how will I be able to install it again on my computer? I don't have the CD. I only have a cd of the older version from 2005, but I don't have the updated one because I downloaded it from the website. I have the download files on my computer but once I uninstall Norton, I should lose all those files right? So how will I be able to get Norton installed again once I delete it?

Thanks.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2007 - 07:08 AM

If you have saved the installation files to your computer, they should be left on your computer when you uninstall Norton (as long as you downloaded them and saved them rather than selecting "Run" or "Open" when you downloaded it).

You can also download it again and save it to a CD or Flash Drive. Also, I understand (but don't know) that Symantec will let you download it again. You may have to provide your personal information to get it, but they should let you re-download it.

The Norton Removal Tool will remove Norton programs installed on your computer - it doesn't affect downloads.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 mayfair

mayfair

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 10 June 2007 - 10:11 AM

jkak wrote:

"The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000022) Click on OK to terminate the application."

You can uninstall and reinstall NIS, 2007 for me, only to find that it does no good. Been there, done that with the latest release of NIS 2007 and the Bonus Pack. If you're going to try it anyway be sure to use live update and get all the fixes and updates installed for NIS before you load up the Bonus Pack. My experience is that Bonus Pack installation will stall approximately half way through installation if you don't which will lead to the infamous CAD shutdown process. Discovered this while setting up another one of my computers for a triple boot system.

I have also looked high and low to no avail. The only quick solution I've found is to change the user from a limited account to a computer adminstrator account. That works as a temporary fix but obviously has pitfalls.

Interestingly enough the error message only appears on my production computer. It's loaded up with OfficeXP and various versions of Intuit accounting and tax software.

If you dig deep enough you'll find some references to a comparable problem that go back to 2003/2004 that, iirc, arose from MSFT's Excel XP. There was however a MSFT KB fix issued, an automatic update, and it's installed on my computer.

I have also run HiJackThis, again the latest release, and RootkitRevealer and have found nothing. Both indicate, to me, that the computer is clean. I'm also using Spyware Blaster as well as the most recent hosts file.

The error message, for me, occurs on a home-built computer that uses an ASUS P4800EDeluxe motherboard with a 3.0GH P4 and 1MB of memory and again only when logging in as a limited user. I have run memory and disk drive tests and they come back with no indication of hardware error.

Other computers, 3, on my home network do not have the problem. One uses XP Pro and the other uses XP home. The third is a triple boot system with XP Pro, Vista Ultimate and Ubuntu 7.04. All of the computers have the latest MSFT updates. They also run NIS 2007, Spyware Blaster and a customized host file.

At this point I'm guessing that something in NIS does not play well with one of MSFT's programs as I'm also getting an occasional ccapp.exe error on shutdown when logged in as a computer adminstrator.

No real solutions but hth.

#6 havasalad

havasalad

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 12:13 AM

I'm having the same problem right now as well. Another workaround I have found works if your the only user of the PC so password sharing is not an issue. While logged on to your administrator account right click the shortcut icon for NIS and select Properties, then under the Shortcut tab click Advanced and check the box for "allow to run with different credentials". Then you can put the NIS shortcut in your limited user account C:\Documents and Settings\<user account>\Start Menu\Programs\Startup folder which will make it execute when you logon to your limited user account. You'll get a pop up box asking which account you want to use to run the program (NIS). Select your admin account and type in the password and NIS will boot and be active for the limited account session. I'm guessing this probably takes away some of the security benefits of being online only with your limited account since your running the program through your admin account. But maybe it's not as bad as being online with your admin account completely??

Jim

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 15 June 2007 - 12:55 AM

here is a better link for the norton removal tool:

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_...a/removal_tools
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#8 havasalad

havasalad

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 01:18 AM

:thumbsup: I believe after looking for several days myself, I have found a solution and it was using the very information you supplied Jkak. I basically did what someone suggested to you but instead of doing it through the RUN command and black screen I did it using windows explorer. While logged in on your administrator account, using windows explorer go to the C:windows\system32 directory iand look for the two files MSVCR71.DLL and MSVCP71.DLL. Right click on each file and select Properties. Click on the security tab (if the security tab doesn't appear see *** below) in the "groups or user names" box there should be a group called "Users" not power users, just "Users". Mine did not have it. If it's not there click on "ADD" just below the box and add it by typing "Users" and clicking OK. That should give all Users Read and Execute access. Then click OK to exit out of Properties. Do this for both of the .DLL files. Then when I logged back on to my limited account NIS loaded without any "failed to initialize errors".

*** If the security tab doesn't appear then also while on your administrator account click Start, Control Panel, Appearance and Themes, Folder Options and under the "View" tab scroll down to the bottom of the advanced settings and uncheck the box "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)". This is what I did and now the Security tab appears under file properties.

Thanks Jkak for the clue!

Jim

#9 Jkak

Jkak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 01:46 AM

Thanks everyone for the help.. Luckily I found a solution to the problem yesterday and was extremely happy when I found that it actually worked. It was actually the same steps I listed above using the cmd prompt, but I found another step to do if the cacls msvc*.71 doesn't come up. I simply did that and it worked fine.

Too bad you guys didn't give me these solutions a few days ago when I had totally given up on solving this issue. Well thanks anyway!

Here are the steps I followed to solve the issue...

Click Run
enter "cmd" (no quotes) and enter, then in the Command window

>cd\
>cd windows\system32
>cacls msvcp71.dll

If it does NOT list a permission BUILTIN\Users:R
Then

>cacls msvcp71.dll /E /G BUILTIN\Users:R

Do not miss out the spaces
You should get a "... processed" message on screen.

Repeat the command to verify this

>cacls msvcp71.dll

If it shows the correct permissions, do the same for the file
msvcr71.dll.

It was something like that. I can't find the website I found it on right now, but this is pretty much what I did. Thanks everyone again. :thumbsup:

#10 KoPPrrr

KoPPrrr

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 03:44 PM

I'm new here as well and want to thank you all for helping me fix the same mess.

I found my files [MSVCR71.DLL and MSVCP71.DLL] in C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32.

Thanks so much guys! btw, nice site!
:thumbsup:

Edited by KoPPrrr, 08 July 2007 - 04:03 PM.

#11 Gally

Gally

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 09 July 2007 - 03:46 AM

Changing the permissions on MSVCR71.dll and and MSVCP71.DLL] in C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32 solved my problem.

The interesting question now is what caused it in the place?

Thanks for the info, I have searched the net and support of Norton, Dell and Microsoft all with 'Not my problem' rebuild your machine, but here is where I found the answer.

I'll seriously think about dumping Norton.

A great site.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 06:00 AM

Limited User accounts don't have permission to access/change certain files on the system - and I'd strongly suspect that C:\WINNT\System32 was one of these (since it's essential for the operation of Windows).

#13 mayfair

mayfair

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:15 AM

Just to add on to most of the preceding.

I'm in the process of adding Linux to my other computers, as in a dual boot scenario for each, and took my production computer down. Partitioned and reformatted the drive, 120GB, to 3 primary surfaces and one extended. Reloaded XP Pro on the C: partition and then updated, ugh, for all the XP stuff, 80 of them initially. Then did the nice to have(?) stuff including the .Net releases and updates. Loaded up NIS2007, Office XP, a bunch of QBooks versions, and various other programs.

Set up a number of household users, initially with the default adminstrative rights, and called it done. Went in last night and setup passwords for each of them. Also changed them from admistrative to limited users. Logged into each after changing account type and again encountered the NIS no run issue.

Corrected the two files mentioned by adding "users" to the security bucket and every thing was back to normal. This morning I decided to check out my other dual boot computer, use to be triple boot but I deep sixed Vista Ultimate. Logged in as a limited user and no Norton on the limited user accounts. That computer has XP Pro and NIS 2007 on it but no other application software and is used as a spare for now. Went in and changed the permissions on the two files and again Norton is fine.

After the above experience I did a search on each of the dll's, msvcr71 and msvcp71, in question and came back with multiple pages for each regarding various issues. It appears that the cause of the problem is a .Net related issue, not a Norton problem, which can affect other application programs. Did not go through every response, there were approximately seven pages for each dll and time is precious.

hth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users