Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Problem Need Help Asap

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 HiDDeNMisT

HiDDeNMisT

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 08 June 2007 - 08:54 PM

im running a comp with

250 Gig HDD
768 Megs of Ram
Windows XP PRO SP2 (all updates installed.)

ok now everytime i play certain games my comp just freezes and restarts all by it self the games that it does this is Counter Strike: Source , Age of Empires 3: Warchifs and Warcraft 3. i thought it was my RAM cuz at that time i only had 515 Megs so i went out and bought a stick now i got 768. it still does the same thing. i aslo scanned my computer with AVG Corporate verson 7.5 and i also used regestry machanic and i also defragged it and still does the same thing. i even updates all my drivers and i also check the event viewer and still it does the same thing.

can anyone help me on this problem. i tried everything i know and im actually studing comps in collage and still nothing works and i dont want to format my HDD. can someon plz help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 EddieT.H.

EddieT.H.

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2007 - 11:11 PM

It could also be your video card.. Does it meet system requirements, ( video card )
Posted Image

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 09 June 2007 - 12:16 AM

You could have a bad memory module. Scan your memory with the Mem86 Memory Test Utility. Be sure you choose the freeware version on the left side of the screen.

Edited by acklan, 09 June 2007 - 12:17 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2007 - 01:48 AM

Check to make sure your PSU is big enough to run everything you have. If your PSU is too small for your video card, your games can suffer. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#5 HiDDeNMisT

HiDDeNMisT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2007 - 02:19 PM

well i didnt use the memtest but i tested my memory module no errors oh and the graphics card is a Geforce 6600 256 MB and my PSU is 600 watts

#6 HiDDeNMisT

HiDDeNMisT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2007 - 01:49 PM

any ideas

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 10 June 2007 - 02:44 PM

How did you test the memory if you didn't use MemTest?
What errors did you find in your Event Viewer?
Did you update your motherboard/chipset drivers from the manufacturer's website
Did you update the video drivers from the nVidia website?
Have you installed all patches for the games?
Have you tested your hard drive? (HDTune or the manufacturer's utilities)
Have you tested your motherboard? (SiSoft Sandra Lite)
Have you checked your temps? (SpeedFan and your video card's utility)
Have you cleaned your case out and checked all the components inside the case?

I've got a bunch more questions - but these should serve for a start :thumbsup:

Edited by usasma, 10 June 2007 - 02:44 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 HiDDeNMisT

HiDDeNMisT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 12:28 PM

i used a program that tests the memory by using the memory. i letf it on for the whole night and it came up with no errors.

there are no errors in my event viewer

there are no errors on ma hard drive

i did not install any paches and my mother board is good as well

my VGA is totally updated i even added more ram to it.

i also cleaned out my case and took off all of the dust that was in the fans and on the chips in my comp.

i also took off all of the services other then the windows services using MSCONFIG.

i also scanned my regestry and found to no major virus infections or problems.

see i totally do not know wat is wrong with this computer. can someone please help me??

#9 HiDDeNMisT

HiDDeNMisT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 10:02 PM

can anyone help me with this problem

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:04 AM

i did not install any paches

Here is a place to start. Make sure you have installed any patches for the games you are using.

Another thing to do is to turn off the auto-restart to see if you can get an error message at the time of the crash, as this will provide us with more clues as to what the problem is.

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
Click the Advanced tab.
Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.
Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.
Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

Edit: fixed a typo

Edited by Budapest, 27 July 2007 - 02:05 AM.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 HiDDeNMisT

HiDDeNMisT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2007 - 01:56 PM

thx for your reply but that didnt work my computer just foroze up and restarted again i get no msgs or anything of the sort. i also checked the event viewer again and there are no errors

man i really dont know wat is going on.

#12 HiDDeNMisT

HiDDeNMisT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 03:09 PM

can someone help me plz

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 04:00 PM

No error messages and you said you did everything else, I'd say power supply, especially if it's an off-brand. You might want to remove the heatsink, clean both surfaces, and reapply the thermal compound
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#14 HiDDeNMisT

HiDDeNMisT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 11:09 AM

hmmm i havent triad that ill see

if all else fails im going to have to format it.

#15 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:56 PM

Random crashes and freezes indicate a hardware issue, not a software one (as in the OS). The two most likely suspects are the RAM and the power supply.

It sounds like you tested the RAM using a Windows-based program. I suggest using Memtest86 or Memtest86+ since it tests very nearly all the RAM. Windows testers can't test the RAM that is being used by the OS and other programs, which can be a considerable amount.

You might want to keep an eye on the power supply's 3.3V, 5V and 12V outputs using Everest Home (free). I realize that this isn't feasible while you are running a game, but perhaps you can observe undue fluctuations at other times. The outputs should always be within +/-5% of their nominal values.
+3.3: 3.135V to 3.465v
+5: 4.75V to 5.25V
+12: 11.4V to 12.6V

Some other possibilities might be with your video card. You didn't mention what kind of card you have or whether you overclock that. If so, perhaps it is crashing or overheating. If the video card heatsink has a fan make sure that it is turning freely. It may take some time playing for heat to build up there and cause a problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users