Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Needed - Windows Xp Won't Start

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 peter6212

peter6212

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 08 June 2007 - 06:43 PM

Would be most grateful for any help with this problem. My PC has Windows XP Service Pack 1, and for the last week has had terrible problems, not able to start apart from in Safe Mode.

It seemed to start after I had been using Mozilla Firefox, which went through an update while online, so the first thing I did was to uninstall Firefox. This made no difference. Also did a virus scan which turned up nothing.

Next I used Recovery Console to do a fixboot and chkdsk and also checked the boot list using bootcfg.

I reinstalled NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM files from the Windows CD. No effect.

I thought then that I would do a Windows repair (upgrade) install. At first this kept crashing, but I then turned off cacheing in the BIOS, which a prompt recommended. The install then proceeded but extremely slowly, and the PC was left on overnight. The following morning the install had finished and I could start Windows normally.

I then realised that most things were working apart from Media Player, which wouldn't play anything and displayed the message "An internal application error has occurred". I then downloaded and installed Media Player 10 from the Microsoft site. This had no effect so I decided to see if I could completely uninstall Media Player and then reinstall once again. I didn't get an option to uninstall, only rollback, so did that.

Then when I next tried to restart, I was back to where I started and only able to get going in Safe Mode. I then tried System Restore to take me to the restore point which was before the Media Player rollback. This restore was done but had no effect on the problem.

Since then I have tried to repeat most of the stages above but with no effect. System restore won't now work at all, saying it's turned off and can't be turned back on in safe mode, only normal mode, which of course I can't access.

Now, also, I can't seem to do another upgrade install. This freezes with the message "Searching for previous versions of Windows..."

Please can anyone suggest what I should do next, this is just so frustrating :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,565 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2007 - 07:30 PM

Why don't you have Service Pack 2 installed?
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 peter6212

peter6212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2007 - 06:22 PM

Saw loads of reports of problems with SP2 so never downloaded it. Maybe I will in the future but what can i do now to get me out of this mess?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 10 June 2007 - 04:41 AM

What happens when you try and start in normal mode? Do you get any error messages?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 10 June 2007 - 07:37 AM

I'd suggest going into Safe Mode and saving your data. Then bite the bullet and do a format and reinstallation of Windows. This'll tell you if it's Windows or your hardware (if it's Windows, everything will be fine, if it's your hardware we'll have to figger out what's wrong).

There are other ways to do this (checking the hardware first), but it'll take a while and will require a lot of downloading and trying of programs.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 peter6212

peter6212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2007 - 03:01 PM

What happens when you try and start in normal mode? Do you get any error messages?

Nothing happens, just doesn't move on from the Windows loading screen

#7 peter6212

peter6212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2007 - 03:05 PM

I'd suggest going into Safe Mode and saving your data. Then bite the bullet and do a format and reinstallation of Windows. This'll tell you if it's Windows or your hardware (if it's Windows, everything will be fine, if it's your hardware we'll have to figger out what's wrong).

There are other ways to do this (checking the hardware first), but it'll take a while and will require a lot of downloading and trying of programs.

Thanks usasma. Have saved my data. I would like to try and be able to get everything up and running without formatting and reinstalling, but I was worried that I might have to go down that route. Are there no other possible options?

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2007 - 04:03 PM

Yes, but it's gonna take a while.

First, try running SiSoft Sandra Lite (free) in Safe Mode and check to see if there's any problems noted with the system. http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.html?dir...n=sware_dl_3264
Then run MemTest86 to test your memory: http://www.memtest86.com/
Then download a bootable diagnostic utility from the maker of your hard drive and test your hard drive.

Visit the various antivirus sites and see if you can locate a command line scanner or two to scan your system for viruses - if you do manage to find some, please let us know because there's not many resources for this.

If everything passes, then we'll move on to software troubleshooting - with our goal being to get you into normal Windows and able to access the Internet. The first thing there is to run SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from the Run dialog: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

Next (if that doesn't fix it) is a repair install of XP (this'll leave your programs and data intact): http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

After this we'll start updating your drivers and then will move into troubleshooting your programs.

BTW - Enable boot logging at the Safe Mode screen, then try to boot into normal mode, then boot into Safe Mode, find the log file and make a copy of it. Let us know and we can work on isolating errors from it. Also, once in Safe Mode, open your Event Viewer (Start...Run...type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter). Let us know any of the errors that occurred around the time you tried to boot into normal mode.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 peter6212

peter6212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2007 - 06:25 PM

Wow!! Thanks John - will take me while to get through all this. I have started, but maybe it's not looking good. SiSoft Sandra Lite won't run - I just get an error message saying "Failed to connect to target computer".

I can't yet run MemTest86 because it says it needs to be run from a floppy and I don't have any - is there an alternative memory test?

I did the boot logging thing but that doesn't seem to work either, I can't locate the bootlog.txt file anywhere.

I have run the event viewer.

The Systems section has the following errors:

Source DCOM Event 10005
Source Service Control Manager Event 7026
Source Service Control Manager Event 7001

The Applications section has the following errors:

Source VSS Event 8193
Source EventSystem Event 4609

What do you think so far?

#10 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2007 - 08:44 PM

I can't yet run MemTest86 because it says it needs to be run from a floppy and I don't have any - is there an alternative memory test?

Memtest can be run from a CD. These days, I'm running Memtest86+, which is an updated version. It has to be downloaded, then burned to a CD using software that can handle an .iso image. (OEM versions of Nero, for instance, will not burn ISO's.) If you're using XP, CDburnerXP Pro will burn ISO's, and it's a free download.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2007 - 07:17 AM

Well, you asked if there was another way - what I posted is just the start!

As Herk says, MemTest can also be run from a CD - please read all the information on the website in order to run it.

The boot log file is located as described in this quote:

Enable Boot Logging

Starts while logging all the drivers and services that were loaded (or not loaded) by the system to a file. This file is called ntbtlog.txt and it is located in the %windir% directory. Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, and Safe Mode with Command Prompt add to the boot log a list of all the drivers and services that are loaded. The boot log is useful in determining the exact cause of system startup problems.

The %winddir% is your C:\Windows directory. The quote is from this page: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...w.mspx?mfr=true

Finally, double click on each of the errors and let us know the description of the errors - this may help to figger out what's causing this.

#12 peter6212

peter6212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:12 PM

Sorry for not replying sooner. I've been having terrible trouble with my Internet connection due to an incompetent service provider. Will post some more of the required information tomorrow. Have got the boot log now but it is hundreds of lines long with loads of repetition. I couldn't post it all so will try and prune out the repeats and then try posting again.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2007 - 06:59 AM

In order to check the bootlog, copy it and past it into a spreadsheet program (free: http://www.openoffice.org )
Then cut the Safe Mode Portion out and paste it next to the normal mode - then it'll be easier to compare them.

#14 peter6212

peter6212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 05:55 PM

Thanks John. I'm now back online (not on the PC with the problem of course). I still can't get memtest to run, but here are the details of the errors from right-clicking on them in Event Viewer:

Event 8193

Volume Shadow Copy Service error
Unexpected error calling routine
Cocreate Instance . hr= 0x80040206

Event 4609

The COM + Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing.
HRESULT was 8007043C from line 44 of d:\nt\com\com1x\src
\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp

Event 7026

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load

AmdK8
Avg7Core
Avg7RsW
Avg7RsXP
Fips
IPSec
MRxSmb
NetBIOS
NetBT
RasAcdRdbss
Tcpip
vsdatant

Event 7001

The TrueVector Monitor service depends on the vsdatant service which failed to start because of the following error:
A device attached to the system is not functioning

Event 10005

DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in safe mode" attempting to start the service ImapiService with arguments "-Service"
in order to run the server: (520CCA63-51A5-11D3-9144-00104BA11C5E)

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:37 PM

These errors seem to be a result of booting into Safe Mode and are generally not a problem. I'm not familiar with Zone Alarm's behavior in Safe Mode - but I'd try removing it and then seeing if you can boot properly (worst case is that you'll have to reinstall it).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users