Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Is Very Slow Booting Up, Not Sure Why

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vwdubman

vwdubman

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 08 June 2007 - 04:54 PM

I have just a couple things I'm a bit concerned about.

1. When my computer starts up and gets to the "Windows Starting" blue screen, it takes almost 5 minutes before the log in prompt appears for my password. Once I enter that and it goes to the desktop, then it takes another 5 minutes at least for all the icons to appear on the screen where I can actually start doing something. Once everything is finished and all icons are appearing on the desktop, then for the most part it runs ok with a few exceptions at times, I think mostly due to the 256 RAM I have. The start up used to only take a minute or less when it was new and even after the first year. It's about 4 years old now though, so is the slowness due to normal usage over 4 years of time? Or could there be something else slowing it down? I do plan to upgrade the RAM soon but it seems like it shouldn't be this slow even with only 256. It's mostly just in the start up processes. Once I'm in doing things, internet, etc., it isn't that slow overall.

2. I have a couple items listed in the Add/Remove programs window that I can't remove. One is called Adware and the other is also some kind of Adware related item, but neither appear in the programs or anywhere else on the computer. I think whatever files went to those programs have been deleted long ago, but for some reason it won't let me clear out the names in the add/remove window. Is there some way to remove those without going through the normal steps? It's mostly just an annoyance, seeing something that isn't really there.

As a sidenote, I've run numerous anti spyware, malware, and virus tools and have a clean hijack this log with no other strange occurences happening. I also have a 100% clean Spybot log...which amazed me the first time I saw that since it had never happened before. So I'm pretty sure I don't have any really bad things on the system, but it's still really slow booting up and loading things initially.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 08 June 2007 - 05:31 PM

That is way too slow. Have you run any cleaner programs or defragmented your hdd?
Ccleaner will remove temporary files, logs, cookies, etc.
The exact name of the programs you can't delete would help to identify any malware.
If you haven't used the two programs below, suggest you do that after cleanup and defragmenting your drive.
Remove temporary files, logs, cookies, etc. by using Ccleaner. Do not use "Advanced Settings" or the "Issues" button. Use only the default settings. http://www.ccleaner.com/

Install Super Antispyware. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Run the online scan for Bit Defender in normal mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How To start Windows in Safe Mode
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have a lot of programs in your startup list that you don't use you can block those from startup and use them on demand.
There are some security programs that take a long time to start and use a lot resources once started that slow down an older comp. Describe what programs you have running at startup.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 08 June 2007 - 06:37 PM

Computers require routine maintenance to run smoothly. You can manually delete those remaining folders after using Windows add/remove programs by looking for them in Explorer; sometimes the Windows utility will leave dregs behind.

I would think one could rule out malware as the clause of sluggish booting in your case, and concentrate on reviewing the applications that launch themselves on startup. Spybot has a handly utility to show you the applications and allows you to manage (usually by preventing) them. You may research applications with which you are not familiar at BC's StartupList tabbed above this page.

Next, I would certainly clean up your hard drive, removing or archiving to disk unneeded or old files. Running checkdisk (or scandisk) and then defragging is the next step.

I am no fan of automated registry cleaners, since without some care combined with a degree of computer knowledge, using these can certainly do more harm to your operating system than might be gained by pressing their magic buttons. Certainly before using these powerful cleaner applications, you should both back up your registry and set a manual restore point.

Hope this helps,
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 09 June 2007 - 08:16 AM

If your system is slow, you probably have too many applications loading at startup when Windows boots. Some of these programs are not needed and disabling them can save resources and improve performance as they are available elsewhere - Start > Programs or an icon on the desktop. You should start their first.

If you don't have Spybot, other startup managers you can download and use for free are Startup Control Panel, Autoruns and Starter by CodeStuff.
You will be provided with a list of programs that load when Windows starts. If you untick an entry it will no longer run at startup. This will allow you to experiment and see how your system performs with any of them disabled. Some startup programs are necessary so be careful what you disable.

I agree with jgweed about using automated registry cleaners. Unless your familiar with them and especially the one you are using, you could find yourself having more troubles than when you started.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users