Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Ubuntu 7.04

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 benny269

benny269

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 08 June 2007 - 03:17 PM

Hi

I am a Windows XP user looking to migrate to Linux but have little to no experience in it so far. I have fiddled with some Ubuntu Live CDs and decided the best thing to do would be to install it as a dual boot so I can get a bit more familiar with more of its functions.

My current PC setup contains 2 hard drives - a 200Gb master with Windows and all my files and documents which I want to leave wholly intact so I can continue to use it as my main OS, and an empty smaller 20Gb slave which is where I want to install Ubuntu.

Knowing nothing about how to go about this I got some advice from these forums before (see post here) and I am intending to install Grub to help keep my Windows as the main system and giving me the option to boot up from the Linux drive when necessary. I basically just need help someone walking me through the process.

After running the installer on the desktop the first question im asked is where to install it and given the following options:

Posted Image

I believe the best choice is the one provided by default i.e. to do the 'guided install' on the Fireball drive (20Gb). In the previous topic I linked to earlier, someone suggested to select the manual option however doing so produces the following screen at which point I haven't a clue what to do.

Posted Image

Can anyone please advise as to which method would be appropriate for my desired setup - whichever is easier - and talk me through it.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by benny269, 08 June 2007 - 03:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 08 June 2007 - 09:43 PM

You are correct. Use the Default selection. (Guided-Entire Disk-20GB Fireball).
Make sure to back up your windows Drive first as it has to install GRUB (Boot Loader) in the MBR (Master Boot Record) which is located on your Windows Disk.

Everything else should be smooth sailing. (There arent very many options with a Ubuntu install)

Posted Image

#3 benny269

benny269
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 09 June 2007 - 08:35 AM

When you suggest backing up the Windows drive, do you mean just to have a copy of my important documents and files for safety just in case there is a problem during the installation, or backup the ENTIRE drive including the Windows OS and all its components?

Also, to be honest I don't really make backups apart from the main docs i have on a dvd every so often. Now 'My Docs' is about 20Gb and I dont have any external drives (I will have one in a few weeks time). Is there any other way of backing up you can recommend? Or any software to use for it?

Edited by benny269, 09 June 2007 - 01:38 PM.

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 09 June 2007 - 05:26 PM

Using "Windows Restore" should be sufficant.

Posted Image

#5 Dennis1

Dennis1

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 08 July 2007 - 05:21 PM

I did it the same way that you're suggesting and had no trouble at all, the only different thing I did was I created a "swap" and a "/root" and a seperate "/home" partition so that when I update or re-install it saves all my settings.
I had a 30gb hd, so I set 2gb "swap" 10gb for "/" and the rest for "/home".
You could adjust yours to say 1gb, 8gb, and 11gb, or similar, if you've plenty of ram you don't need much swap anyway.or so I've been told
That's what I did and I've since reloaded it and kept all my setting etc.hth.

#6 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 09 July 2007 - 12:12 AM

I prefer the manual partition so I can set up seperate folders for root and home
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users