Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sbc 2wire & Repeater= No Go?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cooldan1

Cooldan1

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 08 June 2007 - 01:01 PM

I'm trying to help a friend connect a laptop and wireless printer that are all the way across his home (about 50-80ft est) to a 2Wire router from SBC. The laptop to have internet access, and the printer to be the network printer that the laptop can print off of, and the desktop that is located in the same room as the 2wire.

I thought about giving ad hoc a try with the printer for the laptop, but it wouldn't work since the laptop needs to be connected to the internet anyways. Very generally, here is a small depiction:

Laptop/Printer------------------Through the house, and past 4 walls total----------------------------2Wire/Desktop
(low signal) (2bars) About here
is still about 80%

The printer and laptop need to connect to the router. The Laptop does with 2 bars of signal strength, so it has a small amount of internet access, but sometimes get cut out.

The printer can also be seen by the router and is setup already on all computers and the 2Wire. The only problem is the distance is cutting it off severely so that he needs to wait about 5 minutes to a day for the wireless printer to print.

The situation: Cannot move the laptop or printer closer to router, the router doesn't have too much a conspicuous other than where it is to go closer.

I've now tried a repeater to carry the signal strength, but it doesn't seem to help out too much at all, plus there isn't too good of a place to put it right in the middle.

The only suggestion I've had from another friend right now is an amplifier, although he also told me that SBC's 2Wire routers don't support range extenders for some reason.

Any suggestions or ideas? Also product information would be great!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 09 June 2007 - 09:37 AM

Try a stronger antenna or an antenna extender? They sell them at places like BestBuy and WalMart.

My NetGear WGR614 (cheap wireless router) will go through several concrete walls at my wife's office - so I wonder if this is more than just a range issue. Try placing the laptop and printer next to the 2wire to see if this improves things significantly.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Cooldan1

Cooldan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 10 June 2007 - 10:15 AM

Yeah, tried that. The laptop has full bars, and works great, and the printer prints almost instantly. So I know it just has to be the range... for now...

Nothing though, seems to give a great distance other than a Hawking range extender. Someone claimed in an unbiased review that it gave them over 600ft more distance, and they could now be seen all the way across their neighbors home as well.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 10 June 2007 - 03:05 PM

Maybe try a wireless access point near to the laptop and use a long wire to connect the access point to the router? (I'm not familiar with your router so I don't know if this is practical).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users