Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Serious Is This?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 08 June 2007 - 12:46 PM

I just got this mail below from the Admin of a website I use, advising members to change their passwords. Problem is, I use the same password at dozens of websites and it'll be a hassle to go round changing every one. Need I bother?
I mean, so what if somebody has my password and e-mail address, can he really do anything nasty with them?

Our server has suffered security attack.
This has resulted in the hacker discovering the EMAIL ADDRESS and PASSWORD of some accounts.
Most accounts have been effected.
The site will be shut until I find this info out, and ensure that the passwords are changed.
IMPORTANT NOTE - if you use the same email and password for other online systems, e.g. your email account, the hacker may now be able to access these!
If this is the case I urge you to change your password in these other systems ASAP!

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 08 June 2007 - 12:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 08 June 2007 - 12:55 PM

Do you care to share the site? Or at least the content of the site?

The email itself seems suspect.

Edited by jwinathome, 08 June 2007 - 12:56 PM.

#3 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2007 - 03:10 PM

It's a dating site.
Yes I too thought the mail might be phoney.
But when I try to log on to the site the message below comes up, what do you think? -

URGENT - security breach
UPDATE: It looks like the hacker has managed to get hold of MOST email addresses and passwords in this attack. It is vitally important that you change your password for other sites if it is the same as for this site.
Currently all the indications are that no other data has been stolen

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 09 June 2007 - 10:31 AM

If you are still unsure about the validity of this message, Google the dating services name and see if anything 'newsy' about the security breach comes up.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2007 - 01:05 PM

This below is what comes up when I Google Freedating, shall I start changing my passwords, i've got nothing to lose have I? What's your advice?

URGENT - FreeDating.co.uk security breach
UPDATE: For those of you waiting to get back online, I hope to reopen the site at some point this weekend. But I will only do this when I am sure that the method used by the hacker cannot ever happen again.
UPDATE: The police have been informed.
UPDATE: It looks like the hacker has managed to get hold of MOST email addresses and passwords in this attack. It is vitally important that you change your password for other sites if it is the same as your FreeDating.co.uk password. Currently all the indications are that no other data has been stolen.

#6 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 09 June 2007 - 03:35 PM

I would start changing your email addresses and passwords on the websites you frequent immediately.

First, create a permanent email address that is just used for emailing purposes.
Then create a disposable email account, one that you will just use for on-line things like Web site registration etc. If it gets hacked or ?, you can easily delete it and create another one.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users