Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hoqw Do I Go About Installing Linux?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gaming freakz

gaming freakz

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 08 June 2007 - 12:37 PM

i have a 40 gb hdd with two paritions and xp installed in one of them.the second partiton is relatively empty and i wish to install linux 7.04 from a bootable DVD on it.but i don't want to lose the data on either of the partitions.how do i go about doing it??

i don't know even the very basics of linux.so can someone plz tell me the exact steps i need to follow...
By the time you have read this.....you have wasted 3 seconds of your life.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trio3b

Trio3b

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 08 June 2007 - 09:18 PM

Being a newb, I would recommend running a Live-CD before you do anything to your HD. I have installed Linux to a variety of Windows installations on various HD combinations and have NEVER had a problem, but there are so many distro and hdwr combinations out there that this is the safest thing to do. This will let you know if the distro you are considering is compatible with your hdwr before you take the plunge.

Be advised that a LiveCD is going to run slower than a HD install.

Check hdwr compatibility lists even though this is getting to be a thing of the past.
Download a LiveCD iso, check the md5sum and burn it to disc.
set PC to boot from CD

Try PCLOS, Mandriva, Xandros, Mepis or CentOS for full featured desktops.

Try Kanotix, Zenwalk, VectorLinux for lite desktops.

hope this helps

Edited by Trio3b, 08 June 2007 - 09:26 PM.

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 08 June 2007 - 10:04 PM

Ubuntu 7.04 (including KUbuntu and XUbuntu) is a Live CD so you can try it. It also fits onto a regular CD. Although it is slower you will hardly notice it. Ubuntu Studio however is not a Live CD and must be installed for it to run. It requires a whole DVD for the programs that come with it.

or if you really want to install it. When the Partition manager comes up use the selection (Guided-Use Largest continuous Free Space) it will then install it to your hard Drive in the free space.

:thumbsup: Back up Windows First before you attempt to install any OS on your computer.

Posted Image

#4 gaming freakz

gaming freakz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 09 June 2007 - 11:41 AM

if i install in the largest free space.won't linux be installed in the xp partition,if it finds larger free space available in that partition {sorry if i sound stupid} :thumbsup:

also,will my windows games work on linux too..or are there a half life 2's available for linux too :flowers:

Edited by gaming freakz, 09 June 2007 - 11:41 AM.

By the time you have read this.....you have wasted 3 seconds of your life.

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 09 June 2007 - 05:14 PM

if i install in the largest free space.won't linux be installed in the xp partition,if it finds larger free space available in that partition {sorry if i sound stupid} :thumbsup:

also,will my windows games work on linux too..or are there a half life 2's available for linux too :flowers:

It will create a new partition (or if you wish you can create a partition in Windows first for it to use) We have a tutorial on how to do that here at BC that can explain it far better then I can.

Your windows games are touch and go at best. Most will work using Cegea, WINE, or another Windows emulator. Certain games will not work period.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users