Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Error

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Laura1810

Laura1810

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 08 June 2007 - 11:44 AM

My laptop was working as usual but then when I tried it to start it up the next day after doing nothing different, it wouldn't load up and kept restarting itself.

Now it is coming up with this message:

We aplogize for the inconvience, but Windows did not start sucessfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose last known good configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previosu start up attempt was interuppted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you arnt sure what caused the problem, choose start windows normally.

Safe mode
Sade mode with networking
Safe mode with comand prompt

Last known good configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

Start windows normally

Ok, so i tryed all of the options, and all the keeps happening is it restarts the computer and goes back to this again?

Any ideas how to solve this?

Much appreciated :thumbsup:

Laura

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 08 June 2007 - 12:18 PM

The first and obvious question is, do you have a Windows disk?

If you can boot your CD from the windows disk and run chkdks -f you might be able to solve the problem. Curse the morons who did not include some way of doing this with every computer!

The next question is, do you know:

1) how much RAM memory your computer has? and:
2) how full you hard disk is?

This problem can be caused by a hardware failure, but can also be caused by not enough hard drive space and too little memory. In this case, it would not help much to run chkdsk, but you might be able to start the computer with a Live Linux distribution and move files onto a thumb drive or delete them to make more room.

If it's a hardware failure, you might need to remove the piece of hardware that failed, which can be problematic on a laptop.

(For instance, you can remove the CD/DVD Rom and see if it starts.)

Were it me, I think I'd try a live Linux distro or some other form of boot disk, such as the Ultimate Boot Disk, to see if the computer will start up and run.

#3 Laura1810

Laura1810
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 08 June 2007 - 12:57 PM

First of all i dont have any disks with my laptop.

:thumbsup:

I have 128 mb hardrive

and 512 kb RAM

thats all i can tell you im afriad :trumpet:

so where do i go from here? :flowers:

#4 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 08 June 2007 - 03:25 PM

Can you recheck those values? Windows 95 cannot run with that amount of HDD space and RAM, much less XP.

Edit: To get the Linux CD, go to this website and download the ISO file. After you get it use some program capable of burning an ISO to burn it onto a CD-R/RW. Don't just use Windows to burn the plain ISO file to the CD, it won't work that way. Once you have the CD pop it in your laptop and see if it will boot up.

Edited by madman6510, 08 June 2007 - 03:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users