Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Goodbye Wires…

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 08 June 2007 - 10:04 AM

Goodbye wires…

MIT team experimentally demonstrates wireless power transfer, potentially useful for powering laptops, cell phones without cords.

Imagine a future in which wireless power transfer is feasible: cell phones, household robots, mp3 players, laptop computers and other portable electronics capable of charging themselves without ever being plugged in, freeing us from that final, ubiquitous power wire. Some of these devices might not even need their bulky batteries to operate.

by Franklin Hadley, Institute for Soldier Nanotechnologies
June 7, 2007

The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 08 June 2007 - 03:10 PM

Tell them to huury it up ! I need this!!
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 08 June 2007 - 03:41 PM

There has GOT to be more here than the layman articles are saying as this is nothing new. It's simply a resonant air-core transformer. One article I saw indicated 40% efficiency. That's *terrible*.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#4 Russ Bellew

Russ Bellew

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2007 - 04:33 PM

Am I missing something? I don't read anything that indicates progress beyond Nikola Tesla's experiments of a hundred years ago.

I also missed an indication of operating frequency. The article just says that it operates "at MHz frequencies". That's a mighty big range -- presumably from 1 Mhz to 1 GHz.

Is this a case of poor reportage of a brilliant breakthrough, or does the experiment itself demonstrate nothing new?

Edited by Russ Bellew, 08 June 2007 - 04:39 PM.

#5 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 08 June 2007 - 04:56 PM

It's got to be in the low-MHz range. Once they get out of near field, their 'magnetic wave' rapidly becomes ordinary electomagnetic - which they indicate is no good. Higher frequencies would mean getting into far field quicker.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2007 - 01:54 PM

Has anyone seen the thing on "thinkgeek.com" about the wireless power cords? They use microwaves and has a range of what 200ft?
I wish they could do wireless power because with it we could change the car industry forever. With a good efficiency.

Not to mention it might get me to buy one of those wireless mice ha ha.

Edited by cowsgonemadd3, 11 June 2007 - 01:55 PM.

#7 Digital Brian

Digital Brian

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:22 PM

I dont believe it, well I dont believe it is possible to transfer power without wires without posing a danger to people in the same room, what about pacemakers? I just dont think this is a very good idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users