Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which One Should I Be Using?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jerkjames

jerkjames

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 08 June 2007 - 09:12 AM

I have the Windows Firewall with Vista but I also have Norton Internet Security. It appears that the Norton firewall shuts down the Defender firewall and tends to dominate in the firewall wars going on behind the scenes. Obviously, I could have one, both or none of them on at any given time.

I have no idea, which one is better or why.

Which one should I be using?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lazydogmot

lazydogmot

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 08 June 2007 - 07:48 PM

Hello jj
I had the same problem. I posted at another forum, I don't think I should mention CastleCops here so I won't, and got two replies. One from someone with over 2300 posts and the other had 7000 posts. They both said to go with Windows Firewall because it checks both incoming and outgoing traffic (two-way firewall). Only run one of the firewalls, not both, as they can conflict with each other (as per Windows Security Center among others) I switched back to Windows Firewall and turned off Norton Internet Worm Protection. OK, now it's gettin' weird! I just checked and the Norton Internet Worm Protection is back on along with the Windows Firewall. Well they seem to be playing nice together so I guess I'll just monitor them since I don't know how to turn off the worm protection very well.
Wish us luck,
Tom

#3 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 08 June 2007 - 08:27 PM

You should be using the one that you trust & rely most for firewall protection
similar to an Anti-Virus program,you can only run only one firewall not 2 at the same time
So choose wisely :thumbsup:
I suggest the following firewalls:
Comodo
Outpost
(for now)

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2007 - 08:51 PM

Vista's firewall does not block outgoing traffic by default.

"The default behavior of the new Windows Firewall is to:
Block all incoming traffic unless it is solicited or it matches a configured rule.
Allow all outgoing traffic unless it matches a configured rule."

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community...guy/cg0106.mspx

Here is another discussion (from PCWorld) including the difficulty in configuring the firewall:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,128834-c...rn/article.html
This article makes yet another point:
"Competing firewalls often use built-in intelligence to allow certain programs to make outbound connections, and then issue alerts when other programs make connections. You're told the program name and executable, and given a recommendation as to whether the program should be allowed. You can then block or allow the program to make a connection on a one-time or permanent basis."

Additionally, the Vista Firewall does not seem to be very strong on reporting. Most firewalls will log intrusions by severity, and some provide packet logs as well.

Now if you cannot trust Windows to produce an error free and secure operating system, can you trust your computer's firewall security to the same team?

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 08 June 2007 - 08:53 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 08 June 2007 - 08:55 PM

PC Tools Firewall works with Vista.

I would suggest you shut down Windows Vista Firewall and try it,

if you aren't please with the Norton offering.

Edited by JohnWho, 08 June 2007 - 08:56 PM.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#6 jerkjames

jerkjames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 03:46 AM

Vista's firewall does not block outgoing traffic by default.

"The default behavior of the new Windows Firewall is to:
Block all incoming traffic unless it is solicited or it matches a configured rule.
Allow all outgoing traffic unless it matches a configured rule."

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community...guy/cg0106.mspx

Here is another discussion (from PCWorld) including the difficulty in configuring the firewall:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,128834-c...rn/article.html
This article makes yet another point:
"Competing firewalls often use built-in intelligence to allow certain programs to make outbound connections, and then issue alerts when other programs make connections. You're told the program name and executable, and given a recommendation as to whether the program should be allowed. You can then block or allow the program to make a connection on a one-time or permanent basis."

Additionally, the Vista Firewall does not seem to be very strong on reporting. Most firewalls will log intrusions by severity, and some provide packet logs as well.

Now if you cannot trust Windows to produce an error free and secure operating system, can you trust your computer's firewall security to the same team?

Thanks for your suggestion..
-----------------------------------------
Know about Firewall Software

Edited by jerkjames, 13 August 2007 - 03:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users