Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uac

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Screeam

Screeam

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 08 June 2007 - 08:26 AM

I do not want to dissable UAC, it is a good protective mechanism.

There are some application that all time they request elevated priviligies.

With waht ways i can modify them to automatically run without asking my persision.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 08 June 2007 - 06:14 PM

I've asked this question repeatedly since the early beta days, and there doesn't appear to be a way to do this.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2007 - 07:35 PM

I hope they come out with a way to do it in the first service pack, but I doubt they will. If they did, a malicious program could fool the OS into thinking it was trusted, therefore a blanket solution (block all) is necessary.

3939.png

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2007 - 06:42 AM

I think it more likely that we'll see a 3rd party solution before we see a solution from Microsoft.

UAC is (IMO) a response to Microsoft telling us to use the Limited User account in XP - and us not following that advice. Also, it's likely a response to all the backlash about Microsoft being responsible/liable for security issues and compatibility. So now it's a requirement (and not a bad one IMO) - but it is a genuine PITA for those of us accustomed to XP in the Administrator mode.

While many have criticized UAC as being too easy to get around, I disagree. Each additional security step, no matter how easy to defeat, makes it one step harder for malware to infect your computer. At work I see the effects of malware on a daily basis. In general, the less security installed on a system, the more likely it is to be infected (although user habits make this a very chancy generalization) - this includes security updates and service packs.

Finally, if we do see a 3rd party solution, it's entirely possible that Microsoft will issue a security fix to prevent it. If a programmer can selectively elevate apps to run without our knowlege (of the elevation process) it isn't a very long leap of logic to see that the bad guys could use this for their own purposes.

Meanwhile I'll just keep on clicking to allow elevation! :huh:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 June 2007 - 12:43 PM

Start/Run and type secpol.msc

Select Security Settings/Local Policies/Security Options
scroll down to

User Account Control: behaviour of the elevation prompt for admins
User Account Control: behaviour of the elevation prompt for standard users

For each line, select the desired option
Selecting "No prompt" will get rid of the annoying pop-up boxes, and will also help software load faster
User Account Control:Run All users, including admins, as standard users: Disabled
Reboot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users