Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 2000 Won't Boot, Grub Error...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 07 June 2007 - 09:31 PM

I recently got a PC from a friend, and when he dropped it off, he took out one of the hard drives because he said it had some data on it from another OS, and he needed it back. When I went to boot the PC it started, and before it started to load W2K it gave me an error message. Any keys pressed give back a beep. I don't have the Windows 2000 CD. Is there any way I can go around to fix this?

[codebox]GRUB Loading stage1.5

GRUB Loading, please wait...
Error 21[/codebox]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 10 June 2007 - 10:42 AM

Does your friend have the W2k CD? The easiest way is with the CD, perhaps someone here will be able to give you some step by step instructions to remove this from the master boot record.

Using Windows 2000

In Windows 2000, you can uninstall GRUB as follows:

Boot from the Windows 2000 CD and press the "R" key during the setup and then the "K" key in the following menu in order to start the Recovery Console. Select your Windows 2000 installation from the list and enter the administrator password. At the input prompt, enter the command "FIXMBR" and confirm the query with "y". The MBR will be rewritten and GRUB will be uninstalled. Press "exit" to reboot the computer.

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Uninstalling_th...UB_from_the_MBR

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users