Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Processor Working In A Laptop?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 07 June 2007 - 08:16 PM

My friend accidentally broke off one of the pins on his processor, and now it won't work. He needs a replacement. Its a dell Inspiron 1100 with Intel socket 478, 400mhz FSB. Now I saw this processor on newegg: processor . It says for desktop computer's, but its specs meet the requirements for his motherboard. I was thinking maybe it just says this because it gets real hot, and he just bought a new heatsink and some arctic silver 5. Thanks for reading this post!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 07 June 2007 - 09:23 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/95214/what-cpu-will-work/ IS this your friend? Don't wana post twice if I dont have too :thumbsup:
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2007 - 09:26 PM

Don't get a Celeron. Spend the extra $50 and get something that will carry you further into the future. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819116027
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2007 - 09:28 PM

If it has celeron processor in it its not going to benifit from the P4 if it will even run at all.. The celeron has FSB of 400 the p4 you listed runs at FSB 800.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#5 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2007 - 09:29 PM

Mmm the mobo has a set native FSB that it cannot go over without overclock?
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2007 - 09:34 PM

If the board is designed for a celeron with FSB 400 it most likely will not since its a manufactured computer they will match the motheboard to the cpu they wont spend the money on a faster motherboard.. There are however some aftermarket boards for a desktop that support 800,533,400 FSB Like These

Edit: removed Emotion

Edited by Sneakycyber, 07 June 2007 - 09:36 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#7 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2007 - 08:18 AM

The Dell Inspiron 1100 is, as you noted, a notebook or laptop computer.

Unless you can find specific information where that CPU has been successfully replaced by a higher end or more powerful one, I would not recommend you get anything other than an exact CPU - in this case it looks like it was a Celeron 2.0GHz.

While it is possible that the systemboard could handle another chip, there are other considerations that my have to be taken into account, not the least of them is heat dissapation. Also, Dell's BIOS on that system may have problems with any other CPU.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users