Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Importing Email From Previous Harddrive?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Xandr

Xandr

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 07 June 2007 - 05:35 PM

Hello I am on a Pentium 4 PC 3000 mz running XP Pro Media Center. I have a second harddrive which I have installed XP Pro on by disconnecting cables from motherboard to the second drive. I have alternately opened my previous harddrive to transfer files by copying them to a DVD to the new harddrive. I had encountered a error which I could not correct by restoring it to a previous restore point nor by using repair software. I have followed the instruction to copy the emails that I had on my previous harddrive in Outlook Express which are as follow:

Copy files from CD to Hard Disk

Instruction showing how to save and backup Outlook Express email messages for moving from one pc to another.

Click on the TOOLS Menu and select OPTIONS.
Click the MAINTENANCE Tab and then click on Store Folder.
You now see the location of your Email Folder.
Highlite the Folder Location and press CTRL+C to copy the location.
Click Cancel and then Cancel again to close all boxes.
Click the Windows Start button and the click Run. In the open box press CTRL+V to paste the mail location, then click OK.
You now have a window containing you e-mail database *.dbx files.
From the top Menu click EDIT click Select All.
On the top Menu again click COPY. Now close the window.
Open Windows Explorer, click FILE / NEW and then FOLDER.
Type a name for the folder and hit ENTER.
Double click the Folder you just created to open it. From the EDIT Menu select PASTE. Close the window.
You have now completed a backup up of your email messages.

Now is the time to write them to a CD or CDRW for later use.

When I downloaded them to my new harddrive I attempted to import them after turning of read only in properties to add them to my new Outlook Expresss 6 but nothing happen. Can someone help me with the correct steps to take to import my previous email in Outlook Expresss to my new harddrive. I also had emails in a Thunderbird mail client and I copied these files from the profiles of Thunderbird to DVD but can seem to get them to import. I would appreciate any help in getting these previous emails from Outlook and Thunderbird to my new harddrive . Thank you. Xandr

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 08 June 2007 - 05:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users