Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No More Audio From Laptop Speakers.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 indolence

indolence

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 07 June 2007 - 04:48 PM

I have an HP dv6000t laptop with XP. Recently, the internal speakers stopped working, and the only way for me to hear sounds is if I plug in headphones or external speakers.

Nothing is muted, and I noticed that when I open the 'Volume Control' window, then click on advanced on the bottom left, the 'Advanced Controls for Volume Control' window comes up and the Bass and Treble sliders are greyed out. They were not greyed out before.

If it helps, my Audio driver card thing is Conexant HD Audio and i believe the actual laptop internal speakers are altec Lansing.

Do you think uninstalling then reinstalling the audio driver will help? If so, can anyone point me to a step-by-step guide? I tried googling but i couldnt find anything really specific for my laptop.

Thx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 07 June 2007 - 06:59 PM

Laptop audio can be such a pain!

Is there an external wheel or something to raise and lower the volume? Sometimes, it's set using the function key (fn) in conjunction with a couple of keys on the top right of the keyboard. Chances are you've disturbed some hardware setting rather than a software setting. Still, I'd think it would affect the speakers and external speakers evenly.

Always possible that whatever the speakers use to hook up has become disconnected . . .

#3 GentleLion

GentleLion

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 04:52 AM

I had an identical issue with my Dell after using a random DVD that tweaked my audio settings as part of its functions. After a few months of just using external speakers and headsets I stumbled over this solution.

1) Start>Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices
Audio Tab ---> Changed Default device back to IDT Audio and checked "Use only default devices"
2) Volume Tab>Advanced (Takes you to volume control panel)>Advanced again (This is where your Bass and Treble are greyed out)
Unchecked box next to PC Spk Mute
Allowed check mark to remain next to SPDIF Interface

Hope this helps...I'm not a guru by any means, but if you have follow-up questions regarding other settings and boxes checked, I'd be glad to compare.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users