Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disappearing Programs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 polaris6

polaris6

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 19 January 2005 - 11:28 PM

I encountered a strange problem while using Microsoft Front Page 2000. While compiling the program, I embedded a link for the browser (IE6) and email (via OE). I tested both and the links were working fine.

However, when I went back to the desktop, I could no longer find the IE6 or OE icons. I then went to the Program Menu and they were not there either. I also looked in the Control Panel (Add/Remove Program), and it (they) were not there to be removed. I did find the folders for each application in the Program Files folder, and the appropriate exe program for each application.

I reinstalled IE6 and d/l-ed the updates and still, they did not show up in the Program Menu.

I was able to copy/paste the appropriate icons to the desktop and I can get them work properly, but why can't I 'see' them on the program menu.

I wrote the above few paragraphs a little while ago and posted it on another Discussion Group (email, internet, etc). However, since that post, I have noticed several other programs missing: all my electronic marine navigational links to the installed software has disappeared (i.e., the desktop links and their appearance in the Add/Remove Program folder on the Control Panel). This latest discovery represents actually 2 different software programs that have no connection with each other, other than they are both marine navigational program.

The software as created and stored in the Program Files Folder is still intact; links to this/these programs do not.

Now I have 4 programs that have disappeared: OE, IE6, and 2 marine navigation programs.

Below is a copy of my Hijackthis log. I tried to obtain a 'getservices' log, but got the following message: 'psservice is not recognized as an internal or external comman, operable program or batch file'. The title bar was C:\\WINNT\System32\cmd.exe.

I just rebuilt this system:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 11:08:32 PM, on 1/19/2005
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\cisvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\hidserv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~1\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\WINNT\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\tcpsvcs.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\stisvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SymTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\Program Files\WMPCI54G WLAN Monitor\WLService.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\WMPCI54G WLAN Monitor\WMP54G.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTray.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S0BIC1.EXE
C:\Program Files\Logitech\iTouch\iTouch.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\DragToDisc\DrgToDsc.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BackWeb-8876480.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\MouseWare\system\em_exec.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AWS\WEATHE~1\Weather.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\SYSDOC32.EXE
C:\WINNT\system32\cidaemon.exe
C:\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.usatoday.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost
O2 - BHO: My Search BHO - {014DA6C1-189F-421a-88CD-07CFE51CFF10} - C:\Program Files\MySearch\bar\1.bin\S4BAR.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,-1@1033,&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: My &Search Bar - {014DA6C9-189F-421a-88CD-07CFE51CFF10} - C:\Program Files\MySearch\bar\1.bin\S4BAR.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SymTray - Norton SystemWorks] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SymTray.exe SetReg
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus C62 Series] C:\WINNT\system32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S0BIC1.EXE /P23 "EPSON Stylus C62 Series" /O6 "USB001" /M "Stylus C62"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [zBrowser Launcher] C:\Program Files\Logitech\iTouch\iTouch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINNT\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINNT\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [projselector] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\Project Selector\projselector.exe" -r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioEngineUtility] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\System\EngUtil.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioDragToDisc] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\DragToDisc\DrgToDsc.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioAudioCentral] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\AudioCentral\RxMon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SDetect.exe] C:\WINNT\Twain_32\ScanWiz5\SDetect.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Utility] Logi_MwX.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [SymTray - Norton SystemWorks] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Symtrdr.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [LDM] C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BackWeb-8876480.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Weather] C:\PROGRA~1\AWS\WEATHE~1\Weather.exe 1
O4 - Global Startup: Logitech Desktop Messenger.lnk = C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\LDMConf.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Norton System Doctor.lnk = C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\SYSDOC32.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINNT\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINNT\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra button: WeatherBug - {AF6CABAB-61F9-4f12-A198-B7D41EF1CB52} - C:\PROGRA~1\AWS\WEATHE~1\Weather.exe (HKCU)
O12 - Plugin for .pdf: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\nppdf32.dll
O16 - DPF: {2B96D5CC-C5B5-49A5-A69D-CC0A30F9028C} (MiniBugTransporterX Class) - http://wdownload.weatherbug.com/minibug/tr...Transporter.cab?
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061...all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus Definition Watcher - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service - VERITAS Software Corp. - C:\WINNT\System32\dmadmin.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Unerase Protection - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~1\NPROTECT.EXE
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINNT\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: SAVRoam - symantec - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\SavRoam.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Speed Disk service - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\NOPDB.EXE
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor - Zone Labs Inc. - C:\WINNT\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
O23 - Service: WMP54GSVC - Unknown - C:\Program Files\WMPCI54G WLAN Monitor\WLService.exe" "WMP54G.exe (file missing)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 22 January 2005 - 11:01 AM

Hello Polaris, you have a rather unusual problem, and I don't see anything in the log that would explain what you are seeing.

I need to ask a potentially offensive question...are you using a legitemate version of Front Page? The only reason I ask is because the file may have been "booby-trapped", in which case there is no way to know what was done to your system.

I'll assume for the moment that though that you do have a legal copy. YOu said you just rebuilt your system. Does that mean that you have the OS disks? We may have to try and do a repair.

A couple of suggestions for the moment though:

1) Right click your desktop, click properites, now click desktop, click customize desktop in the bottom and make sure "Desktop cleanup" is unchecked.

2) Another way to have taskbar icons disappear is to have "hide inactive icons"
checked. To see if that happened- right-click an open part of the taskbar, click
properties, look towards the bottom and make sure "Hide inactive icons" is not checked. If it is checked, click the check mark to make the check mark disappear.

#3 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 22 January 2005 - 08:24 PM

I am away from my desktop computer (where the 'problem' resides) and I won't be back for a week or so; however, I will answer some of your questions.

The copy of FrontPage came installed in the computer when I got it. The computer has Office 2000 Professional installed (which includes FrontPage). I have the installation CDs for both Office 2000 and the OS (Windows 2000).

I will not be able to click on the Desktop to check the status of the icons, since I am not there now.

However, the problem is not only that the icon does not show up on the Desktop, but they are absent from the Start-Programs as well (and also not in the Control Panel menu of programs 'to be changed/removed').

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users