Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading My Pc?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 07 June 2007 - 02:31 PM

Hey, I think I know a lot about upgrading my PC and exactly what I want, but with there being so many different PC users out there and just going by their reviews, it is hard to determine what I need. Here's what I know: I want to game

I have a Dell board that I will absolutely not keep for expandability reasons
I have 512mb of DDR 333ish RAM
I have an ATI Radeon 9250 256MB video card
I have an IDE 80gb hard drive
Socket 478 Pentium 4 @ 2.8 Ghz @ 533 FSB @ something like 8MB L1 512MB L2
These all seem to game okay (no new games) as the newer games require me to "manually cool" my PC

My thoughts for the upgraded system:
Jetway 570 SLI mobo
2GB of DDR2 667-800 RAM
7950GTX 512MB
SATA 320GB Seagate Barracuda
Socket T Pentium D 935 or E6600

Any reccommendations?
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2007 - 02:32 PM

Soo. . .what are you keeping of your old pc? You may be better off just getting a new one if you're going to upgrade everything in it.

Posted Image

#3 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2007 - 02:41 PM

Well I'm getting a totally new case as well... but this post question was a question of gaming performance. I'm DIY-ing a new PC, no Dell this time. I have come to hate Dell for their incompatible mobos, one-piece cases (can't take them apart) and their terrible BIOS. I'm building my own, the only thing I may keep is the CD drives.

Edited by Ryan 3000, 07 June 2007 - 02:41 PM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2007 - 05:28 PM

Jetway review at :
Tom's hardware
Mark

Link fixed

Edited by garmanma, 07 June 2007 - 05:31 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2007 - 05:30 PM

Sorry I think thats a dead link.

#6 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2007 - 07:50 PM

Hey guys do you think a Jetway 570 SLI mobo should suit me for a C2D E6600? I really want to overclock it and I was wondering if I had so upgrade to a better mobo like a 680i to get better more stable OCing.

#7 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2007 - 08:41 PM

I was considering a multi-monitor system but if I do end up getting one, one display may be my TV :thumbsup: because the monitors are so expensive. Perhaps I will reuse the one on my current system when it goes obsolete. Hey what is the cheapest full 16x SLI mobo out right now? I've heard of the 680i but the price is out of the question.

Edited by Ryan 3000, 10 June 2007 - 09:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users