Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Little Ram

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 isabel86d

isabel86d

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 07 June 2007 - 08:15 AM

You could probably call me "computer-stupid." I tried to follow along with the one topic titled "something is eating my disk space," but I couldn't understand it. So, for anyone who thinks they can help me, please use simple terms and instructions because I am not good with computers......
ok so to my problem... when i go to my computer and to my (C:) disk space, it says i have 14.5 GB of RAM left of a total of 110 GB. The only program that I know that takes up a ton of space is my ITunes which is approx. 30 GB total. other than that, i went into my add-remove programs and deleted whatever i didn't think i needed, and nothing seemed to add to my (c:) disk. I can't afford to take my computer anywhere because I am taking online summer classes and need to use my laptop for these classes. which is also why i can't do anything that will cause me to lose information on my laptop. so i guess my question is.... what should i do? is there a way that i can see whats taking up so much space on my laptop and then i can delete it, because everything in my add-remove programs list is less than 100 mb unless its like microsoft office or something. or is there something i can do that can give me more space without losing the documents and programs that i have? any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 07 June 2007 - 08:27 AM

You can try a program like SequoiaView.

SequoiaView uses a visualization technique called cushion treemaps to provide you with a single picture of the entire contents of your hard drive. You can use it to locate those large files that you haven't accessed in one year, or to quickly locate the largest picture files on your drive.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2007 - 08:52 AM

Cleanup System Restore

System Restore is a part of Windows that you can use to restore your computer to a previous state if a problem occurs. System Restore monitors changes to the system and creates restore points automatically. Once your system has been running stable for a while, you can delete all restore points except the last one in order to recover disk space.
To do this, Start Disk cleanup which can be found by navigating the following; Start Menu > Programs > Accessories> System Tools > Disk Cleanup. Once the calculation has finished, go to the “more options” tab. In the system restore section, Press the “Clean-up” button, then ok to continue.
Note: Do not delete restore points if your system has been unstable recently.

#4 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 07 June 2007 - 08:53 AM

download and run ccleaner

http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

you said you removed programs from add/remove
go to program files. ...my computer/right click/ ;cdrive/program files/look for folders that belong to the programs you removed ...they may left behind/remove them

go to my computer/right click on c:drive/select properties/general tab/put check in compress files/click ok

this may takes some time but let it work

restart your computer when your done

Edited by mme, 07 June 2007 - 08:56 AM.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2007 - 09:11 AM

WARNING!
As with any registry cleaner, be extremely careful about what you do. Unless you are somewhat computer-literate, it can do much more harm than good, especially when you begin to muck around with your Windows Registry!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Always backup your registry before making any changes!!!!!!!!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2007 - 09:20 AM

There are several additional steps you can take to reduce the amount of disk space currently used.
1. Move personal and Office files to disk. It is always a smart idea to archive reports (even those you are working on), documents, and personal picture files to disk. Should your own computer crash, you at least have these available on disk to use on another computer. You can then delete completed, archived files from your hard drive.
2. Review your hard drive for zipped files you may have downloaded and unzipped. Very often, one forgets to delete the original zipped files, which can take extra hard drive space.
3. If you can archive music files to a disk, do so; these can take a TON of space.
SequoiaView, as TG1911 writes, will quickly and visually show you where the bulk of used space resides, so you can make further decisions about removal.
Regards,
John

#7 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2007 - 09:28 AM

WARNING!
As with any registry cleaner, be extremely careful about what you do. Unless you are somewhat computer-literate, it can do much more harm than good, especially when you begin to muck around with your Windows Registry!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Always backup your registry before making any changes!!!!!!!!
Regards,
John

ccleaner is one of safer ones out there ....ATF tribune is safer...
ive used ccleaner on all my windows..even tried it out ran it 3 times in a row on my windows vista home premium...ran it on my hp windows media and my 2 windows xp pro it never gave me any problems...other computers i worked on its been a great tool for cleaning and restoring space

with ccleaner the option to create a back up is there....it also has yahoo toolbar ...this i akways uncheck..yahoo is already a search engine with IE7

use windows and pause/break key at the same time..system restore tab..if theres no check in the box and... you can click slider............ slide it down to 3% click ok
you gain space by reducing your restore points

Edited by mme, 07 June 2007 - 09:35 AM.

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2007 - 09:43 AM

MME--please understand that my comment was not directed at you or your advice.

However:

No BC Moderator would ever let a post recommending any application like CCleaner stand without a warning to Members, especially those who are not comfortable with their computing expertise, about its potential harm. These cleaners, as you know, are very powerful applications, and should only be used with the greatest of care.
Regards,
John
Global Moderator

Edited by jgweed, 07 June 2007 - 09:55 AM.

#9 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2007 - 09:53 AM

ok thank you for that ...i will add a little warning about cleaners...also to create a back-up

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users