Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partition Vista Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Phil B.

Phil B.

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 07 June 2007 - 07:33 AM

I tried to partition my 120GB Vista hard drive using the following:

"Resize Partitions with Vista Disk Management
Posted 6/28/2006 by Steve Sinchak - Total Views: 22,896 - Views Today: 25
In Windows Vista it is now possible to resize partitions without any data loss in the new Disk Management console.

Resizing Partitions with Windows Vista:

Click on the Start Button and right click on Computer and select Manage.
Expand the Storage section and select Disk Management.
Then just right click on any partition and select either Expand or Shrink to change the size of the partition.
This will allow you to safely resize your partitions without any data loss."

I had a 99GB C partition and a 10GB D Recovery partition as well as a 2GB Blank partition. I tried to partition the 99GB C partition. Using the above instructions I was left with a 63.1GB C partition, 10Gb D Recovery partition, a 2 Gb blank partition and a 37GB unallocated partition.

When I tried to allocatate the 37GB using the New Simple Volume Wizard an error window popped up saying
"There is not enough space on the disk to complete this operation" so now I have 37GB of space unallocated.

I can boot the PC and use the programs with no problems. Would like to allocate the 37GB as another partition.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Phil B.

Dell E1705 Inspiron
2Gb Ram
120GB HD
Vista OS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Phil B.

Phil B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2007 - 03:28 PM

"Understanding the error message “There is not enough space available on the disk(s) to complete this operation” when you create a volume
Shrinking volumes is a cool feature of Windows Vista, but we’re starting to see an interesting side effect—the inability to create a new partition in the newly created unallocated space. Customers who face this problem almost always have a new computer that shipped from the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) with 4 primary partitions on the disk. As you may know, hard disks configured as basic disks are limited to 4 primary partitions or 3 primary partitions and 1 extended partition and multiple logical drives. Customers who try to shrink their operating system partition find that they can’t create a 5th partition due to this limit. Unfortunately the error message is not helpful and we are working to correct this in SP1.

Deleting the partitions created by the OEM is often not possible due to the way the OEMs configure the partitions. Therefore, our advice to customers is to extend the operating system partition back to the original size to regain use of the unallocated space. If additional storage is needed, consider adding an external USB hard disk. "

This was the answer to my problem. Resized the C partition back to what it was and all is well

Phil B.

--

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2007 - 05:41 AM

Thanks for the tip Phil B!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Phil B.

Phil B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2007 - 05:19 PM

Thanks for the tip Phil B!

Glad to find this tip and post it. I have received a lot of help from these forums and I was finally able to post something that may help someone.

Thanks.

Phil B..

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2007 - 06:31 AM

That's how most of us got started online. I spent years just lurking and reading the forums until I saw something that I figured I could help with - and from there it just blossomed into my current contributions. Good luck and keep on posting! :huh:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users