Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Cannot Download Any Security Updates

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 The Carnivale

The Carnivale

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 07 June 2007 - 01:17 AM

Today I stopped being able to download any and all security updates whether it is Microsoft, Webroot, SpyBot S&D Ad Aware but I can manually download files. If it is through an update installer it goes legs up on me. I have searched for Spy, Mal, Troj, Virus, everything I can but I am a Dead STICK on the internet. Any ideas would be helpful. Thank you in advance. :thumbsup:

P.S. I cant use Firefox either just IE strange...

Edited by The Carnivale, 07 June 2007 - 01:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 07 June 2007 - 01:44 AM

Do you get any error messages when you try and update?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 07 June 2007 - 01:54 AM

Yea,

pls check for error messages. Alternatively, try the fllw:
  • Download Dr.Web CureIt to the desktop: drweb-cureit.exe
    • Reboot your computer in SAFEMODE" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".
  • Doubleclick the drweb-cureit.exe file and Allow to run the express scan
  • This will scan the files currently running in memory and when something is found, click the yes button when it asks you if you want to cure it. This is only a short scan.
  • Once the short scan has finished, Click Options > Change settings
  • Choose the "Scan"-tab, remove the mark at "Heuristic analysis".
  • Back at the main window, mark the drives that you want to scan.
  • Select all drives. A red dot shows which drives have been chosen.
  • Click the green arrow at the right, and the scan will start.
  • Click 'Yes to all' if it asks if you want to cure/move the file.
  • When the scan has finished, look if you can click the icon next to the files found: Posted Image
  • If so, click it and then click the next icon right below and select Move incurable as you'll see in next image:
    Posted Image
  • This will move it to the %userprofile%\DoctorWeb\quarantaine-folder if it can't be cured. (this in case if we need samples)
  • After selecting, in the Dr.Web CureIt menu on top, click file and choose save report list
  • Save the report to your desktop. The report will be called DrWeb.csv I need that log later.
  • Close Dr.Web Cureit.
  • Reboot your computer!! Because it could be possible that files in use will be moved/deleted during reboot.
Post the log here then.

Cheers,

YHN

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#4 daffsbro

daffsbro

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 07 June 2007 - 01:54 AM

Sounds like a Virus/Spyware of some type since It stoped all updates and changed your programs around so you cant use them any longer, If you are able to, Download AVG and Spybot and Ad-aware and put them on full scans then post your findings. You can get them here: http://marintecha.com/files.html

There are also a few online scanners you can use:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

#5 The Carnivale

The Carnivale
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2007 - 03:49 AM

AdAware States "Error retrieving file"
Webroot Spysweeper states"Spy Sweeper will provide you with detailed information about the operations being performed in this area.
IE Tracking Cookies Shield: Removed 2o7.net cookie
Updating spyware definitions from Webroot.com
Please wait... This may take a few minutes...
Cannot update the spyware definitions.
A problem was experienced when attempting to contact Webroot. If you are using a firewall, please be sure that it allows Spy Sweeper to access the Internet and try again. If the problem continues, contact Webroot support."
Spybot S&D states" Error Retrieving update info file! Socket Error #10061 Connection Refused"
Windows update manager just fails on every attempt"
NIGHTMARE!!!

Will use info above tomorrow after work must go early morning will keep everyone posted!!! Many thanks once again TTYL...

PS all firewalls were removed to provide accuracy CHeers!!!

Edited by The Carnivale, 07 June 2007 - 03:50 AM.

#6 The Carnivale

The Carnivale
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2007 - 04:02 AM

Correction this might help narrow it down...This all started two days ago when firefox stated that therre was an update available...coincidence maybe???
Good night for now

#7 daffsbro

daffsbro

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 07 June 2007 - 02:35 PM

Okay, Check to see if you can even go to google.com on IE
Then Run The Scans even if they are not uptodate
After that if it still does not work do a system restore to a previous Date before the issues started happening.
This is how you do a system restore

Start >>
All Programs >>
Accessories >>
System Tools >>
System Restore

Once you get there chooses restore to previous date
Choose a date you know the computer was working fine
Then you should be up and going again Make sure to have an uptodate Anti-Virus scanner and Spyware Scanner
Only have ONE anti-virus scanner on your computer at any time you may have more then one spyware scanner.
I recomend AVG for Anti-Virus and Spybot and Ad-aware for Spyware protection.
Update them all and scan weekly at the least let me know if you have any questions
you can get all the files I talked out here:
http://marintecha.com/files.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users