Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Does The Cd Drive Work?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tekchallenged

tekchallenged

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:33 PM

I have just managed to install a new OS (Win2000) on a brand new HDD in a notebook. I've not installed anything since floppies. The OS came with an installation cd. After a bit of messing around, I got it installed from boot floppies which I found instructions on-line how to get from the cd. My question is this - how does the cd drive work and what makes it autorun and "do its thing?" Should I have been able to get the installation to work from the cd? If so, how? If my desktop XP hard disk were to die and needed a new HDD, would I have to get it going from floppies too? (I've only got a Dell recovery disk for the desktop).
Feel free to assume that I won't know what you are talking about...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:55 PM

Well i don't really quite understand your question
But i understand one thing:
Autorun is a process when you insert a CD in the CD-ROM,the contents of the CD shows up automatically
(you'll see windows explorer open up in a window)
From here on,you can go to the files in the CD that you have and access them
So you don't have to go to MyComputer>right click on the CD in the CD-ROM drive and select open
which will really save you time :thumbsup:

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:05 PM

I have just managed to install a new OS (Win2000) on a brand new HDD in a notebook. I've not installed anything since floppies. The OS came with an installation cd. After a bit of messing around, I got it installed from boot floppies which I found instructions on-line how to get from the cd. My question is this - how does the cd drive work and what makes it autorun and "do its thing?" Should I have been able to get the installation to work from the cd? If so, how? If my desktop XP hard disk were to die and needed a new HDD, would I have to get it going from floppies too? (I've only got a Dell recovery disk for the desktop).

To install an OS from a CD you must change the boot order in the BIOS. In your case, the floppy drive is probably listed as first. You have to change it so the CD ROM drive is the first boot device. With that done, you save changes and reboot with the OS disc in the drive and it should automatically start to load
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:32 PM

In your case, the floppy drive is probably listed as first.

Thanks, I looked at that - "optical disk" is the first in the boot order, then USB cd-rom, then USB floppy and so on.

Commander Gman

(you'll see windows explorer open up in a window)

There's no windows explorer - there's no windows until it's installed and (as far as I know :thumbsup:) there's nothing on the HDD. Anything that's working is working from the BIOS or something.....
Feel free to assume that I won't know what you are talking about...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users