Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Lin47

Lin47

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 19 January 2005 - 09:01 PM

Hi, everyone. I've been meaning to post here for some time, but always get a little shy, I guess.

I'm a self-taught A+, Network+ certified middle aged (Archaic!) woman, who had never even turned on a computer 16 months before getting certifed. Now, 3 years later, I'm an aspiring professional PC and network tech. I especially like the security issues, and have had quite a few successes with HJT logs. (But I've had to reformat a few times. Sometimes it's hopeless!)

But that's for other forums! This seems like a great site, and I know I'll be using it a lot.

I've used it a lot already.

See you around, everyone!

Lin47

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 19 January 2005 - 09:29 PM

Hello, Lin47.
Welcome to BleepingComputer.

No need to be shy. You'll find nothing but, friendly, helpful people here. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them.

If you're interested in learning to read HJT logs, PM Grinler (site Admin) about getting into the HJT Trainee program. As you can see by the HJT forum, we can always use more help.

Hope you enjoy your stay here, with us.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 19 January 2005 - 09:46 PM

Hi Lin47

:flowers: to BleepingCompter!

It's nice to see an "aspiring professional PC and network tech" aboard.

As I "almost always say" - take what you need from here and give back as you're able.

regards,
~Koan

:thumbsup:
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#4 Linh47

Linh47

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 09:55 PM

Thank you very much, both of you! I printed out that HJT tutorial I found at - Merijn - ? - and carry it around with me. After a while, you do get to recognize the bad guys, although every week there seem to be more.

LOL - I already posted a long, desperate wail on the XP/2k, etc forum, but I babbled ...

I hope to see you around - this is a really great site.

Lin47

#5 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 09:59 PM

Hi and welcome to B.C. :thumbsup:

Is it Lin47 or Linh47? As they both show in this very thread.

Linh47 - Joined: 3-January 05

Lin47 - Joined: 19-January 05

Edited by scarlett, 19 January 2005 - 10:02 PM.

Posted Image

#6 Linh47

Linh47

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 11:39 PM

Hi, Scarlett, and thanks.

Aha! It was Linh47! I forgot to write down the user name for the first time I registered. I remembered the password, but not the name, so I had to register again. Odd, because I accessed this thread from the email notification link, and I registered each name with a different email address...

That's might be a bit confusing. That's the kind of day it's been!

Lin47 (Or Linh47)

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 11:44 PM

Linh47,

While the HJT tutorial at Merijn, is helpful, it doesn't, nearly, contain all of the information necessary, to properly diagnose, a HJT log. This takes a lot of training. As I mentioned earlier, PM Grinler, and discuss it with him. He'll be able to give you a better idea, of what's involved.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#8 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 11:50 PM

Hi, Scarlett, and thanks.

Aha! It was Linh47!  I forgot to write down the user name for the first time I registered.  I remembered the password, but not the name, so I had to register again. Odd, because I accessed this thread from the email notification link, and I registered each name with a  different email address...

That's might be a bit confusing.  That's the kind of day it's been!

Lin47  (Or Linh47)

O.K. I guess that explains it. :thumbsup: Please disregard the PM I have sent. If you registered each name with a different e-mail address. It is not so odd. You most likely have an notification at the other address for the other member name.

Edited by scarlett, 19 January 2005 - 11:55 PM.

Posted Image

#9 Linh47

Linh47

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 11:52 PM

I should have said I'm VERY aware that the turoials are just a starting point. I've heard a lot of horror stories, so I play it safe. I think it's just that I've had some lucky breaks. Sometimes CWshredder even works for me.

But there are times when I have no luck at all. Most of the people I work for can barely figure out how to use their email, so asking them to post a HJT log is not an option. They just want their internet back.

Most of the shops around here are just automatically reformatting when they see a hijack. I think that's too much of a cop-out.

A woman I know bought a new PC becasue hers was so badly hijacked, infested, etc. She gave me the old one. I spent 2 weeks on it, but it finally came back.

Lot of Googling!

I will go to Grinler, next evening off, to see if I'm teachable!

Lin47

#10 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 11:55 PM

What we need to do now is narrow you down to one name. :thumbsup: Choose one and stick with it. And for heavens sake write it down. Lol

Good Night, Scarlett
Posted Image

#11 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 20 January 2005 - 12:00 AM

Glad to hear of your successes, Lin47.
Doing HJT logs certainly does give one more insight
into how windows works (by seeing how it doesn't).

:thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#12 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2005 - 12:38 AM

Linh47'

Sorry about the confusion. I just wanted to make sure, because there are people that take those lists, as gospel. LOL

.... to see if I'm teachable!

Teachable?

I'm a self-taught A+, Network+ certified middle aged (Archaic!) woman, who had never even turned on a computer 16 months before getting certifed. ....

I think you'll be able to handle it. LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users