Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio And Video

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RECTEC

RECTEC

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 06 June 2007 - 05:52 PM

Whenever i watch something on the Internet the stream is scratchy or it takes long to load,i know this is probably my Internet connection though,but suggestions are accepted.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:18 PM

Or do you mean it stalls?
Basically,your computer needs to temporarily download all the parts of the video and if it is completed,you can now watch it thoroughly
The download is already done automatically once you enter the site with the video that you're watching and clicked the "play button"if the site is closed however,all the downloaded data will be deleted
I suggest to click the stop button so the data can be downloaded and you can watch the video thoroughly
You can see the progress at anytime in the seek bar
you'll see a bar thats probably in a different color (mostly gray)after the seek cursor
so anything that is after that gray line is still going to be downloaded

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#3 Sp0nge

Sp0nge

• Members
  • 643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 11 June 2007 - 06:00 AM

Or do you mean it stalls?
Basically,your computer needs to temporarily download all the parts of the video and if it is completed,you can now watch it thoroughly
The download is already done automatically once you enter the site with the video that you're watching and clicked the "play button"if the site is closed however,all the downloaded data will be deleted
I suggest to click the stop button so the data can be downloaded and you can watch the video thoroughly
You can see the progress at anytime in the seek bar
you'll see a bar thats probably in a different color (mostly gray)after the seek cursor
so anything that is after that gray line is still going to be downloaded

Commander Gman gave a good explanation.

By the sounds of your problem, it's your internet connection, or the site that it's streaming on's internet connection or location.

If it was youtube, or googlevideo you should have no trouble at all. But if it was just a friends website from Oslo or something and you live on the other side of the world, it may take longer to download.

Sorry to the Norwegians for using you as an example, but it was the first thing that came to mind.

If you want to know your connection speed, you can take a speed test at speedtest.net

Just select your country and nearest city from the world map and it will send packets of data to your computer, and then upload it back to their mirror. They measure the amount of time it takes and determine your internet speed.

The forumla is similar to determining the speed of a moving object except you are working with different units of measurement. For example. If I upload 9000kb to your computer and it takes 1 minute to complete the download, I can determine your average connection speed by converting the 1 minute to 60 seconds and dividing 9000kb by 60 seconds. 9000/60 = 150. I got the answer 150, this means that your average connection speed would be 150kbps or
150 kilobytes per second.

Here is a link to the website I mentioned before:

http://www.speedtest.net/

I hope I could explain things clearly.

Now to give you any suggestions for improving your connection.

This won't improve your download/upload speed for streaming videos or file downloads but it will speed up the time it takes for a web page to load at your speed. Google Web Accelerator, I don't know if you've heard of it, download it here:

http://webaccelerator.google.com/

I like to explain things when I provide a link so i'll provide an explanation of how Google's Web Accelerator works. This one is quoted directly from http://webaccelerator.google.com/support.html#basics2.

2. How does Google Web Accelerator work?

Google Web Accelerator uses various strategies to make your web pages load faster, including:

Sending your page requests through Google machines dedicated to handling Google Web Accelerator traffic.
Storing copies of frequently looked at pages to make them quickly accessible.
Downloading only the updates if a web page has changed slightly since you last viewed it.
Prefetching certain pages onto your computer in advance.
Managing your Internet connection to reduce delays.
Compressing data before sending it to your computer.

~Sp0nge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users