Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer Unexpectedly Quits - Error 0x7c911f6c

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kcuthy

kcuthy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 06 June 2007 - 04:48 PM

I have been experiencing a problem where windows explorer unexpectedly quits when I open a folder that has a .jpg in it. I have been using the same application (PhotoShop) to produce the .jpg's for years, with no problem. However, I am increasingly getting the following error:

The instruction at "0x7c911f6c" referenced memory at "0x0065006c". The memory could not be "read".

I have seen info that some of these errors are a result of damaged RAM or bad configuration. I ran MemCheck for 5 hours; no errors.

I have not changed any configuration (at least, not intentionally), but don't know what to look for.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 07 June 2007 - 01:09 AM

A few things you can try.

1. Rename the folder containing the photos so that it has a shorter name. Long folder names can cause this problem. You should rename the folder before opening it.

2. Uninstall Photoshop. Reboot. Reinstall Photoshop.

3. If method 2 doesn't work then reinstall again, only this time when the installer asks what files you want to be associated with Photoshop, do not select tiff, bmp, jpg and png.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 kcuthy

kcuthy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:50 PM

Thanks, Budapest.

I did know about long filenames and/or path names, so I do try to keep 'em short. I unistalled/re-installed Photoshop. Explorer hasn't quit since then, but it takes an amazing amount of time for Explorer to "paint" the file type icons onto the screen when I open folders with .jpgs in them, and the entire system freezes if I try to open a file before all the painting is complete (although - if I wait the interminable amount of time for the window to refresh, everything works fine).

I hesitate to break the association between .jpg filetypes and Photoshop, cuz it would just plain piss me off to have to right-click and choose "open with" every time I want to work in Photoshop.

It would seem that there's still something amiss. I think I'm going to try to roll back the OS to before the last Windows update. While I can't say for sure that the problems started after the last update - - - I think the problems started after the last update (bless 'lil Billy boy's bug-laden code generators' hearts).

Thanks for the tips. I hope to find the rest of the solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users