Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore Ate Up Disk Space

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 XML2005

XML2005

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 06 June 2007 - 04:11 PM

I installed some MS Office Updates, which ate up .6 GB of hard drive. I regretted doing so and wanted to back out the changes & recover the space, so I ran System Restore and then disk cleanup. But then I was out another .3 GB! How do I recover?

Also, System Restore renamed several small files and added "(2") before the suffix of the cloned file (i.e. wmasf.dll was copied and renamed wmasf(2).dll.) Can I delete these "(2)" files? How can I find other obsolete files I don't need, and remove them?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 07:21 PM

I installed some MS Office Updates, which ate up .6 GB of hard drive. I regretted doing so and wanted to back out the changes & recover the space, so I ran System Restore and then disk cleanup. But then I was out another .3 GB! How do I recover?

Also, System Restore renamed several small files and added "(2") before the suffix of the cloned file (i.e. wmasf.dll was copied and renamed wmasf(2).dll.) Can I delete these "(2)" files? How can I find other obsolete files I don't need, and remove them?

Thanks

I don't think System restore remames files or adds any but if you want to get more disk space you can do the following.

Go to Disk cleanup and click more options and under system restore select the option " You can free up more disk space by removing all but the most recent restore points."

#3 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:58 PM

You could also try using advanced windows care.

http://iobit.com/AdvancedWindowsCarePersonal/index.html

#4 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 06 June 2007 - 10:30 PM

Also, you could right click on My Computer and select Properties then select the System Restore tab. Under Disk Space Usage move the slider to the left to reduce the amount of disk space SR uses. Clik Apply > Ok. Older Restore Points will be deleted when you do this, so reduce the size as needed. Check the calender periodically in System Restore, each time you reduce the size, until you are comfortable with how many Restore Points are available. Around a week or two should be plenty. Don't go below 1%, however.

Edited by hillbillygreek, 06 June 2007 - 10:43 PM.

#5 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 06 June 2007 - 10:52 PM

A fun way to check out every file on your harddrive, and find its exact filepath, is to use Sequoia View: Posted Image

You will find it here: http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/

Configure it to show your C:/ drive, and also the amount of freespace available. Simply mouse over any square. Just be careful to stay well away from System Files.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#6 XML2005

XML2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 11:04 PM

Thanks, all!

I set a new restore point and ran ERUNT. I then installed and ran Advanced Windows Care. So far, no space has been freed up, but -- if all looks good in a day or two -- I will delete all old restore points (I only have 3 now, all within the past week.) I'll let you know then how my hard drive looks.

Thanks again for your help.

#7 XML2005

XML2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 10:11 AM

Thanks again to all.

I deleted old restores (which freed up about 1/2 the newly eaten-up space), ran AWP (which, unfortunately, didn't free up any more space), and then ran SequoiaView and found it fascinating!

Interestingly, my C:/Dell/Media is way larger than last time I saw it (I must have done interim updates, and not noticed.)
I also saw that some data archives, which I truly can save offline, were eating up significant space; and a program that came installed with my computer but that I've never used was wasting almost 1GB.

Thank you, now my hard drive looks much better!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users