Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Desktop Taskbar Disappeared

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jan1

Jan1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:47 AM

For no reason at all yesterday, my Windows taskbar just dropped off the face of the earth. I tried dragging the cursor downwards until it changed to the "I", but that didnt work - I cannot figure out how to bring back my desktop taskbar across bottom of my screen. Please can someone help me?
thank you
Jan :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:50 AM

Try Kelly's Korner.

Restore Taskbar and Start Menu - #117 on the left.

As this is a registry edit you should backup the registry first.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:54 AM

For more information about backing up the registry, visit this site.

See Section 4

#4 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:58 AM

A simple tool
No need for registry backups when using this tool
http://www.majorgeeks.com/RRT_Remove_Restr...Tool_d5635.html
Also it is highly possible that you are infected with Malware
If you are the only one who's using the computer
I suggest to post a HJT log in the HJT forums :thumbsup:

Edited by Commander Gman, 07 June 2007 - 02:00 AM.

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 07 June 2007 - 01:36 AM

To backup the registry I would use ERUNT. Go to this website, scroll down and click where it says Server 1 on the left and save the file to your desktop. Then go to your desktop and double click the erunt-setup file. Click through the various options and install the program. Then run ERUNT and follow the steps to backup your registry, it's pretty straight forward.

Now that you've backed up your registry you can try the fix I recommended in my first post.

The reason I recommended backing up your registry is that any time you make a change to the registry there is a small chance that it can screw up your operating system. As such it's always a good idea to have a back up. After you install ERUNT it is a good idea to make a new back up of your registry every couple of weeks or so.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users