Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Loading Operating System

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 vsny

vsny

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 06 June 2007 - 12:44 AM

Hey guys,...not sure if this is under the right forum but I'll post it here for now. Mods, if in the wrong forum, please relocate as you see fit. :thumbsup:

Recently, I've been getting this msg "Error Loading Operating System" whenever I boot up my computer. I tried running a diagnostics, and the hard drive was detected and also passed. Do you guys any suggestions on how to fix this problem? Thank you in advance,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 12:53 AM

I think you were on the right track by testing the Hard Drive. You should immediately backup important data, and then try another diagnositic for confirmation.

Go to the manufacturer's website and download their disk utility to check the hard drive out (this list is kind of old, some of the links may have changed):

• Fujitsu "FJDT" DOWNLOAD Works with fujitsu models only.
  • Hitachi / IBM - DFT "Drive Fitness Test" DOWNLOAD Works with all manufacturers.
  • Maxtor "Powermax" DOWNLOAD Works with all manufacturers.
  • Samsung "hutil" DOWNLOAD Compatability unknown.
  • Seagate "Seatools" DOWNLOAD Works with Seagate drives only.
  • Toshiba - N/A There are no tools available for Toshiba, but you may be able to use IBM or Maxtor's.
  • Western Digital "Data Lifeguard" DOWNLOAD Works with WD drives only.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 12:57 AM

You might also look at the thread found HERE for more ideas.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 vsny

vsny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 12:58 AM

I cannot get into the windows screen at all. How would I go about making back ups for any data? Apologies in advance if these questions seem very newbie-ish...not too good with the computer. :thumbsup:

I'm working on my laptop at the moment, so should I DL the disk utility, burn it on to a CD and try to boot from a CD on the desktop that is giving me the error msg?

#5 vsny

vsny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 02:09 AM

If I don't have a way to get into windows to back up my data, am I pretty much looking at the loss of all my data at this point? It seems like most of the solutions suggested on that other thread is baed on reformatting and loss of all data. :thumbsup:

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 06 June 2007 - 02:28 AM

You can use the UBCD to copy important data off the HDD.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 seanoydams

seanoydams

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:22 AM

Hello, sorry you are actually going through this tough time with your computer.
I dont think its a very big problem . It what i expereince with my clients time to time.

Is your operating system Windows XP. If it is. All you need to do is get your operating system cd. The one that came with your computer.
First go to the Boot options on your computer through the Cmos settings . make Cdrom the first boot device.

Insert windows Xp cd in your cdrom drive and press any key when the computer asks u too.

The setup will start running. when it gets to the part where u have to choose whether to install a fresh copy of windows or to repair. Choose to repair .

The setup will take you to the DOS prompt. log in to C:/windows and when u are on C:/ type this C:/fixboot.

This command will fix your windows boot sector.
Once Its done fixing your boot sector, remove the cd from the drive and restart your system.

This should solve your problem. If not let me know. There is a step further for OS problem above this.

keep me posted.

sean.

#8 vsny

vsny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:26 AM

When I go into the recovery console DOS prompt, it goes to C:/... when I attempt to go to C:/windows, it gives me an error msg of "The path or file specified is not valid" or "An Error occured during directory enumeration." This is when I type in "dir" or "cd"... Any suggestions?

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2007 - 06:00 PM

Try typing:

chkdsk /f /r

and pressing Enter.

This may repair the disk enough for you to be able to access the other Recovery Console options.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 fesguerra00

fesguerra00

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 17 June 2007 - 11:10 PM

Almost the same problem

Ive been getting this "error loading operating system". I read in the other webpage you need to change BIOS setting fromAuto to LARGE to fix the problem. Havent tried it yet since the problem only occured last night and now I am using internet here at work.

Last night i am using my PC perfectly fine till shutdown. When I tried booting it then this error appeared. As far as I can remember Ive been downloading stuffs from the internet.. I am not sure though if it was an update or some software installations or even a virus made the problem.

I really want to rescue my datas in harddrive. Does fixing it with Windows CD in C drive help me and restore my files? Or the BIOS setting change can also help without doing some reformatting? Please help.

#11 fesguerra00

fesguerra00

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:58 AM

Hello, sorry you are actually going through this tough time with your computer.
I dont think its a very big problem . It what i expereince with my clients time to time.

Is your operating system Windows XP. If it is. All you need to do is get your operating system cd. The one that came with your computer.
First go to the Boot options on your computer through the Cmos settings . make Cdrom the first boot device.

Insert windows Xp cd in your cdrom drive and press any key when the computer asks u too.

The setup will start running. when it gets to the part where u have to choose whether to install a fresh copy of windows or to repair. Choose to repair .

The setup will take you to the DOS prompt. log in to C:/windows and when u are on C:/ type this C:/fixboot.

This command will fix your windows boot sector.
Once Its done fixing your boot sector, remove the cd from the drive and restart your system.

This should solve your problem. If not let me know. There is a step further for OS problem above this.

keep me posted.

sean.

Sean my friend hope you can help. My problem was stated above.

#12 fesguerra00

fesguerra00

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2007 - 06:47 AM

I followed what seanoydams said and it works. I can now access to my windows XP after following the said process. Thanks a lot! The only problem now is when I try to start/boot again (not restart) the "error loading operating system" reappears and now I have to repeat the same procedure all over again just to access my OS. Do you know the reasons behind this?

#13 fesguerra00

fesguerra00

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2007 - 07:19 PM

Hello. a follow up on my problem above.

I was able to access my OS using fixboot command and use my computer.. but the problem now is the “error loading operating system” keeps on returning on restart/rebooting and I need to do another repair and fixboot all over again. One thing I noticed whenever I am replacing the current boot sector by a new one was it says the boot sector is corrupt.

Is it possible some kind of virus is corrupting my boot sector on start-up? Since I discovered that my PC was being infected by tons of trojans and viruses. I am trying to get rid all of it totally but I am being denied to log-on in safemode. All I can see is blank whenever I am in safemode?

DO you have any idea what to do first?

Can the BIOS setting change “auto” to “large” applicable on this? also, I was able to recover my important datas last night by keeping it in my IPOD temporarily(no available spare hard drive at the moment) so if reformatting is needed i am ready. Do you think reformatting will get rid of the problem?

Waiting for a reply. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users