Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Start System Restore When System Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Randy Poe

Randy Poe

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:40 PM

System won't boot. How do I start System Restore when Recovery console is not in the boot menu? Screen appears with Boot in Safe Mode, etc. options. System will not even boot in safe mode. Proceeding past this screen allows the Windows load screen to appear, with the progress bar. It starts loading, but then crashes and starts a reboot again. Problem appeared after running Norton Disk Doctor and allowing fixes. Before that action, I did create a manual restore point. Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:51 PM

System Restore is not accessible unless you can boot into Windows.

To access the Recovery Console (since it's not installed on your computer) you need to boot from the Windows XP installation CD, and press "R" at the first screen to start the Recovery Console.

Visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058 to read more about using the Recovery Console

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 06 June 2007 - 12:41 AM

Another idea is to run System Restore at the command prompt.

Often computers that won't boot into real or safe modes will boot into safe mode with a command prompt. If yours will:

Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

More info can be found HERE.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 Randy Poe

Randy Poe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2007 - 12:27 AM

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, I cannot boot to a command prompt either, so System Restore is out for now. I did try several remedies within Recovery Console, but they could not find my C: drive. I have a Raid array. I am told I have to reload the raid firmware from a diskette, then the Repair option from the XP CD may be available. Or maybe I can get to System Restore. Now I have to find another PC with a floppy drive in it to load the Raid stuff on a diskette. Thanks again for the help, and if anyone has further suggestions, please let me know.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2007 - 07:41 AM

RAID is a whole 'nother animal - the rules for accessing disks in a RAID array are way different from those not using RAID. Give the loading of the RAID drivers a chance first to see if that'll work for you.

What kind of a RAID array do you have? RAID 0, 1, etc?

It appears to me (with the very little knowledge that I have about RAID) that the array is working - otherwise you wouldn't even be able to boot to the Safe Mode options screen.

So, since you can't access System Restore, then I'd opt for the XP repair install. During the install process it should prompt you for your RAID drivers by showing F6 at the bottom of the screen. I have no idea how this will affect the RAID array, but I guess that it'll proceed just like any other repair installation. Here's a link about it: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Randy Poe

Randy Poe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2007 - 01:19 PM

Thanks again for the response. Yes, when I attempt a boot and do a F10, it shows both Raid arrays and the disks. I have two Raid 0 sets.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2007 - 07:03 AM

Are your RAID arrays in RAID 0+1 (providing fault tolerance) or are they 2 separate RAID 0 arrays? If it's 0+1, I'd suggest switching to the other array and seeing if that works.

If that's not it, then the route to follow is the repair installation.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Randy Poe

Randy Poe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2007 - 10:03 PM

They are two separate RAID 0 arrays. I opted for the speed and capacity over fault tolerance. I'm just trying to find someone's computer with a floppy drive to write the RAID software now. Thanks again.

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 10 June 2007 - 11:07 PM

You can use BartPE and use the System Restore utility provided with it.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#10 Randy Poe

Randy Poe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2007 - 10:05 PM

My computer is back up! Thanks to everyone who offered advice. In the end, I had to restore the virgin system from the manufacturer's DVDs, then restore my backups from an external hard drive. Somehow some system software got corrupted and prevented even booting into safe mode. No recovery console tools worked. It took a lot of troubleshooting and effort, like breaking my two RAID arrays and starting from scratch, but all is well. I can highly recommend the Acronis True Image Home backup software I had used, cause those backups restored fine and saved the day :thumbsup: My advice to anyone is... if you do not want to have to reload all of your applications from CDs in a catastophe like this, not to mention lost personal data, get yourself an external hard disk and do scheduled nighly full/differential/incremental backups. That sounds like a cliche but I am certainly glad I had done that.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2007 - 07:10 AM

Data backup isn't talked about very much, until a loss is staring you in the face (I've got an 80gB paperweight on my desk to attest to this). Backup strategies are complex and require that the user make some sort of value judgment about their data (is it worth X dollars to save my data?). Not an easy thing, but a heck of a lot easier than a business.

On the flip side, restoration of the data is talked about even less - and it deserves to be addressed also.

So, the 2 questions that should be asked are:
1) How important is your data?
2) How quickly do you want it back?

Most folks will initially respond with their data is very important and they'll need it back immediately - but when the $'s start flying, the tone changes quickly.

First is the backup strategy:
- backup to same hard drive
- backup to local machine/device (including RAID)
- backup to local area network device
- backup to another location locally
- backup to another region of the country
- backup to another country
- backup to another hemisphere
- etc

This depends on how much you want to ensure your data's recovery - a natural disaster (such as a hurricane) can destroy the first 4 options above. The other options have similar scenarios that you can imagine. FWIW - my wife has decided that her business data is important enough to back up to our home (we live about 5 - 10 miles from the coast). If a hurricane destroys everything, the data will be the least of her worries. BUT, now that online data storage is becoming more affordable, we're looking at online data backup - both to simplify what we have to do, and to ensure that the data is out of the region.

Now, since this is a business computer system, my wife needs her data back immediately. So we've had to implement several solutions to ensure that this will happen. First is the daily backup - if they lose their data they'll spend the time to manually re-enter the data that's missing (for up to 12 hours worth of customers) More frequent backups aren't possible since the data files are being used constantly. We backup to:
- another hard drive on the same computer
- another computer on the LAN
- to our home

To further ensure the integrity of the data, we're also starting to look at online data backup (in conjunction with the home backup). And I'm looking at RAID 1 to ensure that they can recover quickly from a hard drive crash - but I'll also need another, identical system in the event that other portions of the system fail (we have one, I just have to "sync" them).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users