Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Electric Car Is Coming Back Better Than Ever

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:50 PM

Before I get into anything let me just say if chevy can pull this off and make this car do what they say it can they have a buyer right here when it comes out.
This thing has superb styling too.

Chevy volt concept is a car that can go 40miles on a single charge. Ahh so not much you say. Well most of you dont travel 40 miles to work each day.
Electricity is like 1/10 the cost of gas and way more enviromentally friendly to make. It also can run on gas or e85 and even biofuels.

Read more here: http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/01/07/de...is-the-chevy-v/ and:

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/01/07/de...-chevy-volt-ev/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 06 June 2007 - 02:09 AM

Gee... Do you think they will price it so that people can afford it???

NAH, I don't think so, if it does what they say they will charge an arm and a leg for it and I'm already paying that much for gas on a car that's paid for. I don't need payments too. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 01:17 PM

Well if I ever get a new car it will be one of those and not a gas car.

#4 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 01:19 PM

Interesting...

I don't really like the style myself.

#5 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 06 June 2007 - 03:02 PM

Interesting...

I quite like the look of it. Medium size, compact and that Retro look,which I love. :thumbsup:
If they were mass produced,and at a realistic price,I would definately buy one.
Somehow I think the Government and the greedy Oil Companies would not let this alternative
to the Gas Guzzlers ever be mass produced,while Oil is still available.
Money seems more important to the Gov and Multi Nationals,than a near Pollution free alternative.

Edited by DSTM, 06 June 2007 - 03:46 PM.

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 03:57 PM

The oil company cant stop it. They dont control everything like everyone seems to think.
Besides its not all electric.

#7 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 04:03 PM

The oil company cant stop it. They dont control everything like everyone seems to think.
Besides its not all electric.

The Oil Companies do have a an influence on some Government decisions.IMO.

Edited by DSTM, 06 June 2007 - 04:07 PM.

#8 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 04:07 PM

I like the concept.

From the second part of the link, the GM press release:

"...we are also showing a variant of the Chevrolet Volt with a hydrogen-powered fuel cell, instead of a gasoline engine EV range-extender," said Lauckner. "Or, you might have a diesel engine driving the generator to create electricity, using bio-diesel. Finally, an engine using 100-percent ethanol might be factored into the mix. The point is, all of these alternatives are possible with the E-Flex System."

Although they don't say it, it appears that the gasoline engine would run as efficiently as possible at it's 1800 rpm.

The ICE/generator combo has enough power to keep the car going when cruising at 70 mph and after the 30 minutes of running, the battery will be completely topped up.

Cruise at 70 mph and completely recharge the battery?

I'd say this has possibilities, that's for sure.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#9 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 04:16 PM

If this Concept Car has the capacity to recharge itself,then I think it has great possibilities. :thumbsup:

#10 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 04:38 PM

Interesting...

The style is based off of the new "retro" Camaro. As for the engine it is most definitely diesel, 1,800rpm is almost idling for a gas engine (average peak torque for a gas engine is 3500 vs diesel which is almost unanimously 1,800). The only issues are the 6-6.5 hr recharge time and the 40 mile range. If they can shorten it to 1 hr and/or lengthen the range I would consider it viable.

Edit: Eats Crow. Its a gas, although an oddball one. BTW the wheel horsepower rating is 164HP (cant convert Watts to foot pounds so torque is unknown) which is on track with a standard non Hybrid Civic.

Re: It is viable. Now whats the price tag?

Edited by BlackSpyder, 06 June 2007 - 09:35 PM.

Posted Image

#11 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 04:59 PM

Interesting...

The style is based off of the new "retro" Camaro. As for the engine it is most definitely diesel, 1,800rpm is almost idling for a gas engine (average peak torque for a gas engine is 3500 vs diesel which is almost unanimously 1,800). The only issues are the 6-6.5 hr recharge time and the 40 mile range. If they can shorten it to 1 hr and/or lengthen the range I would consider it viable.

"The ICE/generator combo has enough power to keep the car going when cruising at 70 mph and after the 30 minutes of running, the battery will be completely topped up."Unquote.

This being the case,I think this would eliminate the issues of recharge time,and the short range,providing you had a reasonable distance to cover.

Edited by DSTM, 06 June 2007 - 05:25 PM.

#12 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 05:50 PM

It sure is ugly. And how is it good for the environment? It still uses diesel fuel, and the batteries that it kills will end up in the land fills with the acid in our water (people don't recycle). I'll pass on hybrid vehicles, I'm saving up for an HHO car.
http://emuse.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/4046

#13 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 06:15 PM

Interesting...

I would suggest you read the article, BlackSpyder -

they say specifically that the engine being discussed is a gasoline powered engine, although diesel, hydrogen, or even ethanol could be used in different configurations.

Also, please note as DSTM and I point out, it can completely recharge the batteries while running.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#14 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 06:16 PM

It sure is ugly. And how is it good for the environment? It still uses diesel fuel, and the batteries that it kills will end up in the land fills with the acid in our water (people don't recycle). I'll pass on hybrid vehicles, I'm saving up for an HHO car.
http://emuse.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/4046

I think you will be waiting a long time.One comment in the link you supplied made a lot of sense to me. :thumbsup:

Quote.
"Edwin | Posted at 09:52am Mar, 27 2007

Don't you guys know a hoax when you see
one?

Just ask yourself... if that car really
"travels 100 miles on 4 ounces of
water" why in hell would he outfit it
as a hybrid so he can use gasoline?"
Unquote.
I ask the same Question. :flowers:
I would love to see this a reality,also.For those members interested, I found this link an interesting Read.

http://waterpoweredcar.com/inventors.html

Edited by DSTM, 06 June 2007 - 06:32 PM.

#15 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 10:29 PM

Water powered cars are impossible.... at least for now.
Maybe forever. It takes more energy than you get out of it correct? Its been going around for years. People start saying all this nonsense that the government is holding back the water cars and such but it doesnt even make sense. The reason being if they could get a car to run on water they would. Next by taking away all but the tax the cost of "water per gallon" would be like what 50 cents? So when you pay less to drive you drive more or stay the same but you have extra cash. That equals bigger economy and more money for them. It would make no sense to stop a invention like the water car. I mean the planet is mostly water. We could use salt water and lots of it.

Not even the oil companies could stop it if possible. You think the oil companies have power try messing with the government and them making more money. ha ha

You think people dont recycle batteries? If they had to they could make you sign a name and or put something on the battery to say its yours so they could come fine you after it gets dumped. Try chunking a 1000lbs battery in the garbage bag. I think people would recycle.

Now about the car.

Who cars how much power it has? It says it takes off 0 to 60 in 8-8.5 seconds. I think my 2001 civic does that in 7.1 seconds. Honestly would it matter? I mean if it gets us driving cheap and off foreign oil I could care less about another second to 60. Us americans got to get it out of our heads that our cars need to take off faster.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users