Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound In Windows Media Player

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Calum

Calum

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 05 June 2007 - 04:36 PM

For some reason, I am getting no sound when I play cds in Windows Media Player. Old cds that I have ripped to my computer play okay, so it's not as if the volume is on mute. However, when I rip new cds to my computer, there is no sound during playback.

I tried to use the Windows help section, but I'm having difficulty following them. For instance, how do I access the "audio tab in the CD/DVD Drive Properties dialog box"? I have a feeling the problem has to do with analog/digital audio settings, but I can't remember how to access them. I'm sure I had to click on "device manager" at some point, but I can't remember where.

Can anyone help me with my lack of volume?

Calum.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:47 PM

To access analog/digital settings (not sure if this is what you need but I'm throwing it for you anyway)

If you have a sound icon next to your clock, click the icon and open Play Control. The first panel, at least on mine, is Play Control. Click the advanced tab there, in the box that comes up check 1 Digital Output Only. If it's checked, uncheck it. Put in a cd, see if you hear anything.

If Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices/Volume Tab. Click Advanced to open Play Control, follow the above procedure.

When Play Control opens, if you don't see the Play Control panel, click on Options/Properties. Check the box next to play control, then OK.

#3 Calum

Calum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:15 AM

Thanks for the reply. I don't get Play Control when I click on the sound icon - just Adjust Audio Properties, but there's nothing about digital settings there. This is just to control the volume on my computer - the problem I have is with Windows Media Player. I'm sure what I'm looking for is in WMP somewhere. I just can't remember where the volume settings and options are.

Calum.

#4 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:22 AM

There are different colume controls...for example, you are listening to WAVEs in WMP right? See if this article helps you at all.

#5 Calum

Calum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 11:31 AM

I followed what it said in the article, but everything appears to be okay there. I'm still trying to work out how to access "audio tab in the CD/DVD Drive Properties dialog box." It would be helpful if the help section explained this.

If I can recall, I had a cd that wouldn't rip because the digital audio setting box was checked, so I had to uncheck it. This is what I would like to access again, but I can't remember where it is. The Windows Media Player help section should be more helpful, but unfortunately it isn't.

Calum.

#6 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 11:39 AM

You should be able to go to MY COMPUTER > locate the DVD drive, like D: or whatever it is, then right-click the drive, and select properties.

#7 Calum

Calum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 05:38 PM

I did this as well, but it doesn't give me any audio information. Damn computers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users