Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting Started With Kubuntu

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 wavemaker

wavemaker

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:45 PM

Gooday all. As suggested in the title I am new to LINUX and have installed KUBUNTU on to my machine. The first issue I have is that a little warning triangle, bottom right side tells me I have 61 update packages available. When I try to unpack them I get a message informing me that another process is using the packaging system, and that I should terminate that one before trying to proceed. As far as I know I don't have any thing else running so I don't know what to close. I hope that is clear. Any ideas. All help greatly appreciated and thanks in advance. James
When The Going Gets Weird, The Weird Turn Pro. (H.S.T.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joe883

joe883

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 05 June 2007 - 05:43 PM

wavemaker, check out this web site until the
experts arrive:
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:43 PM

Wait it out. Literally, I ran into this problem when I first switched to Xubuntu (with KDE) and Ubuntu Studio, you have to wait for the Update manager to finish loading all the update files before you can acess it. Or if you have wait 30 min or more and it's still not letting you acess Update manager go to the terminal and type
sudo apt-get upgrade
you will need to enter your password after you hit enter. If these do not work please post back.

Welcome to Linux.

Edited by BlackSpyder, 05 June 2007 - 06:44 PM.

Posted Image

#4 wavemaker

wavemaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 07:31 PM

Thanks for that. I have dome that and received the following "E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.. Did that , then received" "dpkg: requested operation requires superuser privilege. What is next? Thanks again.

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:16 PM

run dpkg under
sudo
just like apt-get.

F.Y.I: sudo stands for superuser do and allows you to use "root" privileges under your regular user name

Posted Image

#6 wavemaker

wavemaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 05:31 PM

Thanks all. Fantastic. She's up and running like a charm. Is there a way to get all my windows stuff over so I can sort through it and then dump windows altogether?

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2007 - 07:12 PM

Well, not all your windows stuff.

What did you want to move? If you have a heavy-duty enough computer, you might be able to run some Windows programs with Wine. But things like files can be moved from one computer to another by many means, such as burning to CD, using a thumb drive, networking, and so on. Instead of My Documents, you've got the Home Folder.

If you've got Amarok, you can play MP3's and other media. K3B works for burning. If you don't have Firefox, you can get it. You can export then import your bookmarks. You've even probably got Konversation IRC client. Gaim works as an all-platform IM.

As already mentioned, "sudo" is a replacement command for a Root user. In older Linux systems, when you wanted to do something and needed Root priveleges, you didn't actually have to log in as root. Instead, you would simply type "su" and then your password, and you had root priveleges. But Ubuntu/Kubuntu uses "sudo" instead, which means "Super User do." That way, you don't even have nor need a Root account. (You can make one if you want, but it's unnecessary.)

I put a terminal in my "quick launch" area because I was used to having it there from earlier versions of Linux. And I'd usually rather use the terminal for installing programs. IIRC, Firefox would be got by typing:
sudo apt-get install mozilla-firefox

Then your password.

#8 wavemaker

wavemaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2007 - 06:40 PM

Thanks for that Herk. I spose all I really wanted was my emails and addys from thunderbird and my bookmarks from firefox. Can I get them over some how? Also, how do I put icons for booknarked sites in the desktop? Thanks, James.

Edited by wavemaker, 09 June 2007 - 06:43 PM.

#9 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2007 - 09:49 PM

for your bookmarks use the extension for firefox called "Foxmarks" It is a "recommended" extension. Install it on both versions of firefox. It uploads your bookmarks to their server and synchronizes everytime you open firefox and everytime you close firefox so all the bookmarks you find in Linux will transfer over to you windows when you open it again. I use it and love it it keeps all my versions of firefox sync'd so i have all my bookmarks on all of my computers.

as for the email I dont know I always start from scratch when setting up my accounts on a new computer. Havent seen an extension that would bring over accounts off of another computer or OS yet.

Try KDE's included browser too its pretty awesome in its own right. Its fast and based off of Firefox.

Edited by BlackSpyder, 09 June 2007 - 09:51 PM.

Posted Image

#10 wavemaker

wavemaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2007 - 11:03 PM

Thanks Black Spyder. I have overcome all of that stuff. Now I just need to get the "allow empty subject box'" extension for T/bird and I will have done a complete change over. Except, that is, the printer. Haven't been able to get that working yet.

#11 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2007 - 11:44 PM

What Make and model?

Posted Image

#12 wavemaker

wavemaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2007 - 04:13 AM

Canon, pixma ip4200

#13 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2007 - 04:07 PM

Found this site while checking the Ubuntu Forums

Cannon Pixama iP4200 on Openprinting.org

Hope that helps you out.

Heres the orignal site in case I messed up what printer you have http://openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi

Posted Image

#14 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2007 - 09:48 PM

as for the email I dont know I always start from scratch when setting up my accounts on a new computer.

I save the emails I want to keep as i go. I put them into either a "saved_email" folder or a "saved_infomail" folder, the latter for things like subscription info. You simply save the messages as you read them, being careful not to overwrite. To read any one of them again, simply open Thunderbird and click on "open saved message" under File, and navigate to the message. (And of course you would save the folders to a disk for safekeeping, then recopy them into the new installation, in your Home folder.)

As to settings, since I use a number of folders, I just wait until I get an email that I want to save in a particular folder, then set a new mail rule.

#15 wavemaker

wavemaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2007 - 04:46 PM

Thanks again Herk. I have sorted that out now. Black Spyder, I downloaded the canon factory driver for Linux but am sorta stuck there. Forgive my ignorance but what do I do next.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users