Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Install Trend Micro Pc-cillin.. Com Service Error?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 frien004

frien004

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 05 June 2007 - 02:40 PM

Alright so, whenever I am trying to install Trend Micro Pc-Cillin on my machine at work, during what seems to be the very last step of the installation, an error pops up from the installer stating, "Unable To Install The COM Service.." .. and then it undoes the previous installation steps. I have tried installing the program from different cds, a flash drive and even tried downloading the software from trend, but it all produces the same error during installation. I also tried contacting trend about it, but they never responded, and I am unable to find any articles, etc, written online regarding this problem. Can someone please help me resolve this??! I'm pulling my hair out!!

Windows XP Home ; Service Pack 2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:08 PM

Out of curiosity...does your work computer already have a running antivirus program? Do you have all updates from Microsoft Update installed?

Also, do you have any previous versions of Trends antivirus installed on this computer?

Thanks!

#3 frien004

frien004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:24 PM

It doesn't currently have an antivirus program installed, and is fully updated by Microsoft. There were some previous infections, but they were fully cleaned/removed using hijack this and a few specific malware removal programs.

#4 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:32 PM

The place that you work, are you on a domain? On a network?

Did you check to make sure there was not an older version of Trend's antivirus somewhere on the PC? When you did your HJT log, did you install anything like Panda scan, Kaspersky scan? Anything like that? Those will have to be uninstalled.

#5 frien004

frien004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:36 PM

It's on a network, and there are no previous versions of trend installed.. the computer is pretty bare as far as installed programs/apps .. I'll double check though to see if there are any other scanners hidden. Anything else I should check on? this is truly a very strange error.

#6 rlprlp

rlprlp

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:25 PM

I hope that this isn't going to be considered rude or stupid... it's only meant to be "food for thought". You say that you've tried to contact Trend Micro, but they don't respond? To me, that would be a reason to possibly consider another AV program. Good luck!

#7 frien004

frien004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2007 - 02:12 PM

Can anyone else provide some insight on the problem? Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users