Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is My Hdd Dying?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 05 June 2007 - 12:28 PM

Is my Hard Drive dying? It's an internal 80gb IDE hard drive at 5400 RPM that came with my Dimension 3000. It's about 3 years old now, has gamed its entire lifetime, and is now making very pronounced seeking clicking noises. On occasion, my HDD LED on the front panel will stay lit for 10 minutes or more, making my computer run like a dead turtle, while nothing is actually supposed to take that long. No, it's not my virus scans, I can run those and do something else without being this slow.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 02:09 PM

Short answer-Yes. The less you run it the better until you get a replacement and transfer what you want or start backing up files to CD / DVD's
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:19 AM

I agree, backup immediately! Then get a utility from the website of the manufacturer of the hard drive to diagnose the drive - that'll tell you if it's dying or not (but the clicking sound is a nearly universal death knell for a hard drive).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2007 - 12:26 PM

I'm on it now.. and I know thats not what you reccommended, but the activity light is constantly on pretty much. It never turns off, it may begin to turn off but it gets started right back up. Can this thing cause my computer to be really slow?
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2007 - 12:59 PM

The only reason I said don't use it is because you're increasing the chance of damaging the drive's contents before you can back it up. If that isn't a concern, go ahead and use it
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2007 - 02:22 PM

Talked with my dad, the whiz. He says its just an older hard drive and it will click and be loud as it may. Can someone send me the diagnostic software for the Western Digital WD800BB? I tried downloading from their site but my clicks don't do anything.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2007 - 07:58 AM

While I hate to disagree with your dad, the WD800BB is no louder than any other hard drive. And a clicking hard drive is an invitation to disaster!

Since you can't download the diagnostics from Western Digital, I'd suggest trying the built in Dell diagnostics (it's either F10, F11, or F12 as you boot up) to see if they can tell you more about the drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2007 - 05:54 PM

Just to be on the safe side, buy yourself a new IDE hard drive. They're fairly cheap nowadays as SATA hard drives are starting to heat up the market. You may want to consider upping the capacity so you don't run out of space.

Also, you should always run maintenance tasks on your hard drive, such programs like CCleaner are excellent in getting rid of useless junk and creating more space. One more, but very important, task is to defragment it. Defragging is notorious for taking its sweet time to do the job, but in the end, it's worth it for the health of your computer.
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#9 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2007 - 02:45 PM

Do you guys think it would be more practical to buy a SATA hard drive with an IDE jumper cable since I plan on getting a new SATA mobo soon and I want the speed when it's time to upgrade?

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2007 - 03:00 PM

If money is an issue, an IDE drive will be cheaper (and most mobo's have an IDE connector on them even if they have SATA). If you purchase a SATA drive you'll also need to purchase a SATA controller. They're not really expensive, but you can't use SATA without it (on and IDE only mobo).

#11 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2007 - 08:45 PM

What does the SATA controller do and when do I need it? If I have an IDE Jumper instead of a SATA plug, will I need it?

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:32 AM

I have no idea what an IDE to SATA jumper is - but the SATA drive will have different connectors than an IDE drive.

#13 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:45 AM

Sorry maybe using the wrong terminology here the plan is to use a SATA-IDE converter box and then get a SATA drive.

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:59 AM

It's the terminology that'll kill us! :thumbsup:

It looks like what you're trying to do is to fit the SATA drive inside an enclosure that'll plug into one of your USB ports. Is that correct? If so, that'll work for the drive - but making the operating system (XP) work from it will be pretty durned difficult.

If not, could you point me at a description of what you're looking at and we can work from there.

#15 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2007 - 05:21 PM

Here's a description of what I want to do, I know the tech exists but I'm too lazy to find you some links.
I am getting a SATA HDD. It has a 320GB capacity and runs at 3.0
I am getting a small device that goes inside my PC that will take in the SATA plug and put out an IDE plug and convert it to an IDE signal.

Savvy?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users