Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keystrokes

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mcarley

mcarley

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:51 AM

Hello everyone. Im concerned about what my son is viewing online. The problem is that everytime I catch him viewing something that he shouldnt,like from history or whatever, he figures out a way to cover his tracks.Is there a way I can view his keystrokes? Ive heard you can even without software.Any help is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 06:31 AM

I am anti-keylogger for kids - IMO it teaches them that it's OK to spy on others (it also teaches them to hide their tracks better). Because it's for their own good isn't reason enough (again IMO) - that's the same reasoning that's been used to deprive people of things throughout history.

If you're suspicious and they delete their History, etc - take away the computer for a period of time. That's a consequence for being sneaky - not for visiting prohibited sites.

But, be aware that there are easy ways that the kids can use to 1) hide their keystrokes and 2) to hide the location of the sites that they're surfing to.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 07:39 AM

I must agree. Keyloggers are a band aid to a deeper problem. I use universal precautions with my sons. Their computer is in plain view and I do pop in on them. We chat about things that I find in our school district and how situations are handled. The is no substitute for being involved in their life.

Take a look at these:

FBI Publications - A Parent's Guide to Internet Safety
Beyond the basics: Prevention guidelines - from Microsoft
isafe.org

Good luck. I do credit you for taking a step to make sure they are safe.

rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users