Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uak

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Screeam

Screeam

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:30 AM

Can anyone have info about the way MS has impemented this UAK security stuff.

Is it succesfull?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 05 June 2007 - 01:24 PM

Do you mean the User Account Control (UAC) aspect of Vista?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 Screeam

Screeam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 05 June 2007 - 04:05 PM

YES i meant UAC.

are there any information if the way it is implemented is agood way?

reagrds

#4 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:43 PM

It has become a very controversial issue, discussed on several forums. First, of course, you understandd that it is not antivirus or anti spyware. The concept is that it advises you of any files which are about to be run on your computer. These would be mainly *.exe files and, in isolated cases, could come from the internet without your approval..

It is not an Einstein level problem for mischievous persons, including advertisers and spammers, to circumvent this. Because of the way it has been implemented, it has become almost a reflex action for Vista installers to immediately turn this function of after insallation of the OS. This is mainly because of its nuisance value.Ways to do this, which is really simple, abound on most help pages on the web. Being able to Do this, as you realise, obviates any value it may have had.

Anti virus and spyware programs perform very much the same function, but go into the depth of actually removing or stopping these possible attacks, and are unobtrusive.

So the answer to your question would be that, within its limitations, if left in situu, it does exactly what it is supposed to do. If you are a person who, having setup you computer to your own satisfaction, will from then on rarely install new material, then it would do no harm to leave it running.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users