Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Mechanical Failure

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Angela01

Angela01

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:47 AM

Hi,

Last week, my 40GB IDE hard drive on my Dell D600 Latitude laptop suffered a mechanical failure; I had a lot of data on there which was not backed up and which is irreplaceable (I have learnt my lesson). I have sent the hard drive to two leading data recovery labs (disklabs and ontrack), at great expense, who have both diagnosed the same problem which is that the head stacks on my drive have collapsed into the platters (twice) and have scored away and completely erased the firmware and part of the data (although most of the data is still there in binary format). They have both said that the drive is so badly damaged that the data which is still there is completely irrecoverable.

I am mortified.

As a last hope, I was just wondering if anyone out there has suffered a similar problem with better results or if anyone knows of ANY way I can get back even some of my data, particularly photos.

Absolutely ANY suggestions will be so gratefully received.

Please help!

Many thanks,

Angela
angela.rumble@eds.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:56 AM

I would invest some money in a backup software program (Acronis is a good one). You can never go wrong with that route and back it up on DVDs, which is about the most foolproof way to back up anything.
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:19 AM

Hi Angela
When the heads hit the platters (head crash), which spin from 5,000 to 10,000 rpm's, it scrapes off the magnetic film on the platters that hold the data in a hurry (platter scoring). I would not hold out much hope of getting it back. There is a place here which specializes in that area and has a no-pay policy if data cannot be recovered. Can't hurt to check them out but recovery is unlikely.

BTW, remove you're e-mail addy from your post. Bots look for that stuff.

Edited by HitSquad, 05 June 2007 - 09:31 AM.

#4 Angela01

Angela01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:30 AM

Hi,

Thanks, I know how to back up things for the future, but I need to get back my data from the past, that's my problem....!!

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:44 AM

This isn't a joke but I doubt it will work in your case. People have actually removed the drive and placed it in the freezer for about an hour, then quickly reinstalled and retrieved info.
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:51 AM

This isn't a joke but I doubt it will work in your case. People have actually removed the drive and placed it in the freezer for about an hour, then quickly reinstalled and retrieved info.
Mark

That trick works for a very short time to free platters that no longer spin, but if these platters are as badly scored as being indicated that won't help.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 01:22 PM

Mark

That trick works for a very short time to free platters that no longer spin, but if these platters are as badly scored as being indicated that won't help.

I know it, but I'd try it before I trew the drive in the dumpster
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 ambellina

ambellina

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:21 PM

people have also mentioned purposely dropping their hard drive from a couple of feet above a table to get the same results as freezing, but as mentioned, thats for platters that don't spin instead of ones that have been physically damaged. i can well imagine that dropping it would just make it worse :thumbsup: but if you are planning to throw it away anyway, then making it worse shouldn't matter i suppose. sorry about your lost data!

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:26 PM

bad drives can eat power supplies and are best pitched
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#10 Angela01

Angela01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 03:55 AM

Hi,

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

I think I understand the problem I am facing BUT I just keep going back to the fact that my actual data is still on the drive, even though the firmware has been removed (and from what I understand, the firmware is the bit which interprets my data and makes it readable? So why can't other firmware read my data?)

I am clutching on to the fact that my data is still there so there MUST be some way some how that I can get at least even a small part of it off....??

Failing that, does anyone know if it is possible to get photos off of a flash card which have long since been deleted and overwritten? Some of the data on my drive which I am so sad to have lost is photos taken over the last year or so. I still have the flash cards (SanDisk CompactFlash), although I have taken photos and deleted them several times on these cards, so I would need to get back images way back. I have seen that there is software which can may be recover the last lot of photos I deleted from my flashcard, but I am not sure about photos deleted say a year ago and subsequently have several batches of photos taken over the top?

Again, any suggestions I will be delighted to receive.

Thanks very much.

#11 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 06 June 2007 - 04:59 AM

and from what I understand, the firmware is the bit which interprets my data and makes it readable

Not exactly. In hard drives the firmware is the software code that controls the physical hard drive hardware. Firmware damage can happen in two ways. The firmware code itself (which is stored on a chip on the drives circuit board) becomes corrupt, or to some of the hard drive parameters located on the hard disk platter surface that are accessed by the firmware, which is your case.

So why can't other firmware read my data

Firmware is drive specific. It is done at the factory when it is built. If it is wiped, it cannot be re-applied if the drive is dead without first replacing the faulty parts. These parts would have to be original replacements. In other words, the platters (and most likely heads) would need to be replaced which is basicly a new drive. All data would be lost anyway. Follow?

Did you contact the link I left you?

Edited by HitSquad, 06 June 2007 - 05:00 AM.

#12 Angela01

Angela01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 07:09 AM

Hi,

Yes I contacted the company in the link; they were on voice mail and I am still awaiting a response from them.

The data recovery company I sent my drive to did replace my heads but apparently that did not help.

Thanks for the info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users