Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore Problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Cool n dynamic

Cool n dynamic

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:32 AM

Hi

I came across couple of problems after installing a software for an instrument in our lab in my Windows XP Home SP2 laptop. Fonts have been corrupted, the installed software didnt work properly etc.. so i decided to restore the system to 2 days back where the restore point is created. but when i tried to restore it, it did all the process normally and come up with the msg that, no changes have been made to your computer, select another restore point. my font problem has not fixed at that time. i tried another restore point and again same problem. i tried couple of times later by creating a new restore point and trying to restore it, but same problem. ofcourse, i could able to solve my font problem by installing the fonts from the driver cd again later, but i came to know only then that my system restore is not working. can anyone pls help me out pls????

Also when an trojan or malware infects the computer, does system restore solves the problem completely or else should try any other method (downloading sypbot or so and uninstalling the malware) ????

Edited by Cool n dynamic, 05 June 2007 - 06:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:56 AM

System Restore will only restore certain operating files, not user files or application files. It may be that SR is working, and your problem is not caused by a change to the files restored. Nor will SR necessarily solve a malware problem unless it resides in those files touched by SR. You need to use a resident Anti-Virus and several Anti-Spyware applications in Safe Mode to begin a successful attack on malware.

I would suggest you completely uninstall the instrument's software using the Windows uninstaller; make sure any folders for the software are deleted. See if this corrects the problem.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:00 AM

in your title of your topic you say System Restore Problem, Though system restore is checked, it is not working when i try to ....

in order to set system restore it needs to be unchecked...putting a check means your turning it off

is that the case

#4 Cool n dynamic

Cool n dynamic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:08 PM

hi mme, i am sorry, actually i have to correct that sentence. i have unchecked it and tried only. i had followed some instructions from my colleague to clear all the restore points and create a new restore point and install any other software, and after 2-3 days or so, tried to restore to 2 days back.., still getting the same problem that "no changes have been made to your computer and select another restore point". this msg appeared to me even before clearing all the restore points. thats why i am worrying about!!!!

thanks

Edited by Cool n dynamic, 05 June 2007 - 06:22 PM.

#5 Cool n dynamic

Cool n dynamic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:21 PM

hi john, thanks for the reply. but i didnt got such kind of msg : "No changes have......." in the past when i restored my computer. i got a msg like "your system is successfully restored to ......." (i cant remember the exact sentence), at that time the programmes i have installed after the restore point have been deleted as usually. i tried to apply the same trick when my system fonts got corrupted with the software i installed. i have already uninstalled that software, still font problem didnt go and ofcourse system restore didnt worked!. then i replaced all fonts from the driver cd as i mentioned, now everything is alright. but now, i want to clear the system restore problem as you know if something unusual happens, being computer ignorant, that is the quick solution without formatting the whole system or just breaking our head for the correct solution!

#6 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:26 PM

check this out

you may not have enouugh free space available
on your desktop double click "My Computer" and you will see used and free space
for system restore you need 200 mb
if you don't have it go to control panel and click on system then system restore and disable it.
restart your computer and check free space again.
system restore default is 90 and you may have reached it which caused your prolem
now go back and turn on system restore and you should now have 1 restore point and you know it is now working, each day and or when you do someting like delete a program it will set a restrore point for that day
your system could just need a good cleanup of temporary files, cookies and history entries, if so get and run ccleaner software.
when you turn system restore back on you will see a sliding scale probably set at 12% which is the default, reduce it to say 5% and that will limit the number of restore points
good luck and this should help resolve the problem

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:14 PM

Click Start.
Click Control Panel.
Click Performance and Maintenance.
Click Administrative Tools.
Double click Services.
Scroll down to the System Restore Service.
Make sure that under the Status column, it says Started.
Make sure that under the Startup Type column, it says Automatic.

If it's not set that way:
Double click System Restore Service.
Click the General tab.
Next to the Startup Type: box, click the drop down arrow, and select Automatic.
Click the Start button.
Click Apply.
Click OK.
Reboot your computer, and see if System Restore is now working.

If that doesn't work, check to see if one of these helps:
How to troubleshoot the System Restore tool in Windows XP
System Restore Restore Failures
Troubleshooting Missing Restore Points
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 Cool n dynamic

Cool n dynamic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2007 - 05:23 PM

hi mme and tg

sorry for late reply, i was out of station and though i enabled email notification of replies, i didnt get any mail saying i got the reply, so i didnt check while i was out. neways, thank you so much for ur suggestions. i followed both advices, and it seems to be working. i appreciate your work. thanks a lot to both. kudos to bleeping computer forum..

cheers

Raj

#9 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2007 - 09:00 PM

Im glad to hear that your system restore issue is resolved and thanks for letting us know

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users