Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low Burst Rate On Seagate-alpine 120 Gig Hd

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hoojfan

hoojfan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 04 June 2007 - 11:22 PM

My Dell Dimension 8300 PC (purchased June 2004) is running very slowly. On the advice of a member here, I downloaded HD Tune and tested my hard drive. According to HD Tune, my drive's burst rate of 6.9 MB/sec is way too low, as this parameter should always exceed the transfer rate maximum (which on my drive is 43.7 MB/sec). The benchmark for this drive in HD Tune's database indicates that the burst rate should about 99 MB/sec! And the average transfer rate should be 44 MB/sec, i.e., more than my maximum transfer rate.

I subscribe to and regularly use Webroot anti-spy software and Symantec anti-virus software. Repeated scans with these, as well as Spybot, Ad Aware, and other programs disclose no viruses, trojans of bots.

HD Tune suggests there could be a "configuration problem" but I have no idea what this might entail. Below is a printout of the HD Tune analysis of my drive and below that my system components. Any help will be much appreciated.

Yours truly,

Hoojfan

HD Tune: ST3120026AS Benchmark

Transfer Rate Minimum : 0.7 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Maximum : 43.7 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Average : 6.8 MB/sec
Access Time : 32.3 ms
Burst Rate : 6.9 MB/sec
CPU Usage : 16.5%

Quantity Parts # Part Description
1 D0116 PROCESSOR, 80532, 3.2G, 512, 800FSB, SOCKET N
1 N2194 INFORMATION, DEVIATE TO PWA G0728, LADDER WITH 5R/2R CIRCUITS
1 T0185 KIT, KEYBOARD, MOUSE, 104, UNITED STATES, WIRELESS, NMB
2 J0201 DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 256, 400M, 32X64, 8K, 184
1 0R533 CARD (CIRCUIT), MULTI-MEDIA, AUDIO, SB0203
1 W1043 DIGITAL VIDEO DISK DRIVE, DVD+RW, 4.7, TEAC, 8X, DVD+R, CHASSIS 2001
1 J2523 KIT, SPEAKER, 120V, DELL5650, DELL AMERICAS ORGANIZATION
1 X2749 MODEM, V.92, DATA FAX, INTERNAL, DONNY, DELL AMERICAS ORGANIZATION
1 G3171 DIGITAL VIDEO DISK DRIVE, 16X, IDE (INTEGRATED DRIVE ELECTRONICS), HALF HEIGHT, EXTERNAL, CHASSIS 2001
1 G0001 CARD (CIRCUIT), GRAPHICS, 128MB, NV34, DIMENSION, SECOND
1 5Y232 DISPLAY, FLAT PANEL DISPLAY, 19, DUAL, 1901FP, MIDNIGHT GRAY, DELL AMERICAS ORGANIZATION
1 5R212 FLOPPY DRIVE, 1.44M, 3.5" FORM FACTOR, 3MD, NO BEZEL, NEC CORPORATION, CHASSIS 2001
1 R0190 HARD DRIVE, 120G, Serial ATA, 8M, 7.2K, SEAGATE-ALPINE
1 1Y379 ASSEMBLY, CABLE, Serial ATA, TRANSFORMER SKY DIVE MINITOWER, 1.0
1 P0253 CABLE, POWER, 6P, AUXILIARY, Serial ATA, TRANSFORMER SKY DIVE MINITOWER
1 T1614 KIT, SOFTWARE, OFCSB-2K3, ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT MFGR., ENGLAND/ENGLISH
1 N2999 KIT, SOFTWARE, MNY-2K4, STANDARD, ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT MFGR., ENGLAND/ENGLISH
1 R2527 KIT, SOFTWARE, OVERPACK, WXPPSP1A, COMPACT DISKETTE W/DOCUMENTATION, ENGLAND/ENGLISH
1 G2876 KIT, DOCUMENTATON ON FLOPPY DISK, SOFTWARE, CYBERLINK, 4.14, DIMENSION

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:48 AM

I'd presume that the "configuration" problem could either be excessive disk reads by a program or by a problem with the disk.

1) Open up Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and click on the Processes tab. Then go to the View menu and click on "Select columns". In the next dialog, put a check next to "IO Reads" and click OK. Then check the Processes tab for excessive IO Reads by any program. Let us know if there's any excessive reading going on (and what process is causing it) and we'll suggest some things to remedy it.

2) Find out the manufacturer of your hard drive and visit their website to download their free diagnostic tools. Run them on your hard drive and see what they tell you.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users