Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformatted Computer - No Internet Connection Now

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 peachechampagne

peachechampagne

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 04 June 2007 - 10:14 PM

I reformatted my hard drive...wiped everything out b/c it was ridiculously slow, not to mention I had a trojan. So now that I reformatted, I cannot get an internet connection. I re-installed all the disks that originally came with the computer (I think) and we have a network connection in my house with a wireless router. The computer does not recognize that it's even connected at all. I even tried hooking it up directly to the internet (no wireless connection) and it still didn't work. Is there anything else I can do or how do I even know what's wrong? Is there a drive that needs to be downloaded possibly?? Help!! There are too many people in this house to only have one computer to work from! Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 04 June 2007 - 11:22 PM

When you "tried hooking it up directly to the internet" did you connect your computer directly to a modem? And if you did, did you power down the modem? If possible, power down the modem. Hook the lan cable to the modem, then to your computer. After the modem has been unplugged for about a minute, connect it back to the modem, turn on your computer. See if you can get to the internet. If you can, you may need a network adapter update. Go to Windows updates. Choose custom. Under Hardware, see if there is an update for your network card. If so install it. If not, you'll have to go to the manufacturer's website for an update.

#3 peachechampagne

peachechampagne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2007 - 04:57 PM

I'm looking on the other computer in the house and viewing the device manager and the items that are listed there are not even available on Dell's website! So I don't know what else to download. I had a good mind to just put everything on there but that's a pain. So I remedied some of the issues but I'm still missing a few items (Network and SMS bus controller). There was only one chipset to select and i downloaded that to my computer and it still doesn't recognize it. I don't know where else to go to get one.

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 and I use Windows XP. We use a network so I have the disk for the Ethernet controller that we bought but it won't let me download it until some of these other issues are resolved. I'm not sure what else to do. Some of the items that the laptop had but I did not are:

1394 Net adapter
MAC Bridge miniport
Realtek TRL8180 Wireless LAN

none of which I can find anywhere on the web where the download actually "works". Any suggestions?

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 09 June 2007 - 07:23 PM

Are the Items listed in the device manager but have yellow exclamation marks next to them? Also list ALL of the items that have that notation (yellow exclamation marks). We can see if we can find the drivers for them. Also all of the drivers for the original computer configuration should be available on Dells support website.. There is a support tag on the back of the computer its white with a number and a bar code on it. Type that in on the dell website and you should be able to download all the necessary drivers for the computer. As for the Wireless adapter card what error does it give you when you try to install the drivers for the card?

Edit: Changed Paragraph wording, spell checked

Edited by Sneakycyber, 09 June 2007 - 07:25 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 10 June 2007 - 07:17 AM

The Ethernet controller drivers should install without having installed the other drivers. What is the exact error message that you get?

Dell's generally come with a Drivers and Applications CD - do you have that? If so, use it to install all the stuff on it - it may be a pain, but until you discover what's holding you back it's your only recourse. You'll know that you've installed everything when all the red x's and yellow !'s (in Device Manager) go away.

This presumes that it was a virus that caused your problems, and not some other hardware issue.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users