Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Netbios Over Tcp/ip Needed For File Sharing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 04 June 2007 - 08:58 PM

Repeating the topic title, Is NetBIOS over TCP/IP needed for file sharing on a small LAN between Windows XP and non-XP?
Non XP computers might be Windows 95 and 2000. XP is SP2. Connections through a router are working just fine.
Does NetBios have anything to do with file sharing anyway?

Edited by tos226, 04 June 2007 - 09:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:24 AM

NetBIOS lets you connect to shared files by using a "friendly" network naming convention rather than having to use an IP address to connect. In order for you to share files between XP and non XP OS (win 95, 98 etc) you need to enable NetBIOS. If you want to shar efiles hosted on the XP machine with the older versions, you need to make sure that XP is formatted using the FAT file system since FAT16 (Win 95) and FAT32 (Win 98) cannot see the NTFS partition but XP can see the FAT partitions.

Confused?
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 12:09 PM

Got it.
Sharing with Windows 2000 was no problem because both use NTFS. The only problem was permissions. And it seemed to me that I needed NetBios to see the shares as well. If I recall correctly, presence or absence of NetBios made no difference whether I addressed by IP or \\computer name - is that not your experience?

In any case, I just wanted to get a bit of understanding when must I enable it on XP. Clearly older systems will be trouble. I ain't formatting my XP to FAT :thumbsup: Thanks.

Edited by tos226, 05 June 2007 - 12:09 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:58 AM

To add to that, file sharing on a workgroup relies on the permissions assigned to the Guest account. In the event that access is needed in other areas, "mirroring" accounts on each computer will help (same exact account name and password on each computer).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:25 PM

Thank you, John.

#6 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 08 June 2007 - 01:47 PM

If you want to shar efiles hosted on the XP machine with the older versions, you need to make sure that XP is formatted using the FAT file system since FAT16 (Win 95) and FAT32 (Win 98) cannot see the NTFS partition but XP can see the FAT partitions.

Confused?

I'm sorry, but no. When you are sharing the files over a network, the filesystem on the remote system does not matter. If it did, how did win95 workstations connecting to an NT4 server see any files? Or how does my XP system see the UFS filesystem on my freeBSD server?

OP - you can have whatever filesystem you want on either machine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users