Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

T1 Line Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Computer Lifeline

Computer Lifeline

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 04 June 2007 - 08:33 PM

Hi,

A client is getting a T1 line for their office. We are going to set up their office network that uses the T1 line, which is provided by the phone company. Most of the work we have done has been related to setting up cable and DSL connections. My question is - does T1 line come with a modem like the cable modem and DSL modem? If it does, I'd assume it has a router built into it. Is setting up a small network using T1 any different from those using cable or DSL?

Thanks in advance for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:28 AM

The T1 line will connect using a different connector coming in from the outside which then has to be connected to your router or switch. T1 lines are fiber optic lines that use a different connector from the standard ethernet cable I can't remember the name of the connector at the moment though. Seems to me it is an S something or other.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#3 Computer Lifeline

Computer Lifeline
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 07:52 PM

Will a generic router, such as the Linksys routers, work with the T1 line? This T1 is for a small office that will have fewer than 10 computers. It is hard to justify purchasing an expensive router like Cisco.

#4 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 07:32 AM

I don't think the linksys routers have the capability to adapt to a T1 connection. Usually there is a WIC card that plugs into the Cisco routers for that purpose. Speaking of hard to justify, it seems hard to justify a T1 line for an office of only 10 machines but I guess it's not my money.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#5 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 06 June 2007 - 11:13 PM

As you will be the one in the gun if it doesn't work, why not check out the websites of the routers you are thinking of using to find compatible gear.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#6 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 08 June 2007 - 12:54 AM

It can also vary a lot with what equipment the telco uses. I do some contract work for ATT occasionally, setting up routers onto t1's, DS1's, 3's, etc. Many times they provide everything so that all the customer has to do is plug an ehternet cable into the telco equipment and then into their own router/switch. Check with the telco, see what they provide and also what they would suggest for the end-user side of things. FWIW, a T1 is not fiber, it's still using signal over copper lines. I suppose since they're just digital signals a T1 could use a fiber network, but it would be a terrible waste of the potential bandwidth of fiber.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users