Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse For Cs:source

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 cliver

cliver

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 04 June 2007 - 03:51 PM

Im looking to buy a mouse that would be perfect for fps's like counterstrike, is there any that just jump out in quality or should i just pick up any old wireless optical?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 04 June 2007 - 05:28 PM

Easy, no contest,I use the Logitech G5 or you can go cordless and get the G7 http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_poi...e/&cl=au,en
MCP
MSDST

#3 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 04 June 2007 - 05:37 PM

It all depends on your preferences. I myself have a Logitech G5 mouse and after a steep learning curve (had a generic optical mouse prior), I really like it. Though it does have one flaw, I have found the scroll wheel is very akward and messes me up a lot when I need to scroll it precisely (in games such as Counter-Strike or Battlefield 2) and because the wheel can also tilt left and right, pressing it down to middle click sometimes ends up registering as scrolling up or down instead. I don't know all the different brands of gaming quality mice, but I know logitech has a couple of gaming mice. My friend has the Logitech MX518 and likes it.

I did a quick search for you on IGN.com and by looking through the search results, you should find multiple products that were reviewed.

Hope this helps,

Wizdabest

---

*edit* - Also, as for the quality of gaming mice, take my mouse for example. The grip isn't bad and the feet on the bottom are nice and slide well on the desk. The laser is MUCH better than regular optical mice and I've never experienced the annoying 'mouse jump' that I used to get when I played Counter-Strike (where if you do a quick movement or tap the mouse, it'll register in the game as turning really fast and your character will spin non-stop till you mess with the mouse again). Also, the laser registers on any surface I've tried it on, even plastic sheets, my clothes, and the hair on top of my head. It can also switch it's DPI (sensitivity) on the fly in three preset settings or with software, three defined settings, which is great in a game such as America's Army where if you look through the binoculars, the sensitivity gets lowered and on the fly DPI settings will get around that.

Edited by Wizdabest, 04 June 2007 - 05:46 PM.

#4 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 05:48 PM

Is there any wireless signal problems with the G7? I haven't read a review on it, but I'm just curious to know. I went with the G5 just because it was like half the price and I didn't want to bother with any wireless troubles.

#5 cliver

cliver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 06:44 PM

hmm so G5 or the mx518.....ive heard of the g5 alot while playing on cs:s.....so i might go with that.

Edited by cliver, 04 June 2007 - 07:03 PM.

#6 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 05 June 2007 - 12:41 AM

Good choice :thumbsup:
MCP
MSDST

#7 cliver

cliver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 04:37 AM

Just bought the G5 from newegg for 45.99 free shipping :D

Edited by cliver, 05 June 2007 - 04:37 AM.

#8 EddieT.H.

EddieT.H.

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 12:39 AM

Razer Copperback, my friend has that and it feels good. also has cool lights on the sidess
Posted Image

#9 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 06 June 2007 - 04:49 PM

I have been using the mx 518 for a while now, it's been a pretty solid mouse indeed. It's not a laser, but a high-res optical; it goes up to 1600x. Compared to my 400x conventional optical mice, well, there is no comparison! For me, in the end it came down to how well it felt in my hand rather than laser vs optical...since the g5 resolution was only a bit higher.
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

#10 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 05:29 PM

Yea, it's like 1600 dpi vs 2000 dpi. I rarely even use the setpoint software anyway and just stick to the default on-the-fly settings anyway. At least you get another button, though I get to add little weights to my G5 lol.

#11 cliver

cliver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2007 - 08:25 PM

ok i got my g5, what does your guys weight cartridge look like. Cant decide how much weight to use.

Edited by cliver, 08 June 2007 - 08:25 PM.

#12 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2007 - 09:54 PM

Well, because the G5 is heavier than the the cheap mice (such as the Dell ones for example), I don't have any weights in my G5. I also don't put any in there because it puts more strain on the wrists. . . heh, joint pain and here I am majoring in visual communication and play video games heavily.

#13 cliver

cliver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2007 - 11:47 PM

yeah its defiantly heavier than my last mouse, i put a bit in anyway to try and and i didn't like it.

#14 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2007 - 09:26 PM

well you already got your mouse, but for anyone else, I've been using the Kensington PilotMouse and I just set the side buttons to right-click and double-click (respectivley) and the right-click button to middle click and the scroll for scrolling. I think its a really comforable mouse, the only thing is the right-click button only works sometimes and the grips on the sides are falling off. Than again, I've had this mouse for over 2 years and I use almost everyday for quite the amount of time. As for teh weights, well the mouse itself is pretty weighted, good enough for what I need it and i just leave 2 pairs of recharchable AAs around and when the ones in the mouse die, i swap out real fast for the charged ones and then I charge the dead ones. It works well :thumbsup:

Regards,
TheYoda

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#15 j0nath4n

j0nath4n

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 13 June 2007 - 02:03 AM

Try the Razer mice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users