Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Does This Mean?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ambellina

ambellina

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 04 June 2007 - 03:44 PM

i was reading an article on how to dual-boot a computer, and i checked my computer as instructed to see if i had only one partition, but it appears that i have three :thumbsup: and two of them are FAT and FAT32. im not an expert but i do know that they are old file systems, and i dont understand why i have three instead of just one. its not any problem, just a bit confusing.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4vhj3pf

a couple of years ago i tried to wipe my computer's documents clean and start anew, but i was used to reinstalling windows with my old 98 and not an XP, and basically had no idea what i was doing. i had never heard of a partition before and ended up just pressing enter and clicking the default options and hoping for the best. it worked out okay (lost some drivers along the way), but when i began using it again i realized that all of the documents from prior to whatever it is that i did (i still cant really figure out what i did :trumpet: ) were all still on my computer, just under a different user-type-thing. i mean there were no customized settings or anything, and My documents and everything showed as blank, but most of my documents were still on there linked through the user "Family" (the one i thought i deleted) instead of "Erin." i think this might have something to do with it? and if anyone could figure out what exactly it was that i did, that would be nice, though i realize my description doesn't make a whole lot of sense :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 04 June 2007 - 06:56 PM

Since you have a Dell, I would say one is the recovery partition, but you said you reinstalled XP. Did you buy a full install XP CD and load it? Can you access and explore the other partitions at all?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 04 June 2007 - 07:42 PM

Dells normally have a diagnostics partition, which is FAT16, a recovery partition which is fat32, and the OS partition set to NTFS.

The best advice I can give is: dont get rid of the other partitions. You can use the other partitions: {CTRL-F11} for recovery, and {F12} to start the boot menu and start diagnostics.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 ambellina

ambellina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:48 AM

ah, okay :thumbsup:

im not sure if can access them or not because ive no idea how to...

Edited by ambellina, 05 June 2007 - 08:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users