Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Finally Left Norton Behind

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 majax79

majax79

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 04 June 2007 - 11:10 AM

I've been using norton systemworks and norton firewall since I've had a pc. Recently, the programs just completely screwed up my pc so I repartitioned my hard drive and completely reinstalled windows XP. Right now, I've installed the free version of AVG as my virus protector and comodo as my firewall.

I have spybot, ad-aware se plus, ccleaner, peerguardian2, and easy cleaner as other cleaning or protecting tools.

My question is:

is AVG and Comodo as strong as norton programs? I've only been able to find one possibly non-biased study on firewall/anti-virus software but it was a few years old. I do want the programs to use as little cpu or memory as possible (so not Norton's thing).

The only thing that bugs me about comodo is that I have to tell it everytime I click anything, what I want it to do. Also, I haven't figured out how to get it to allow utorrent to run on any specific port.

I've been up for 25 hours straight trying to research all this and I've really only come up with one definitive statement, Norton Sucks, lol. Any help would be enormously appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 04 June 2007 - 11:22 AM

I doubt that you will find ANY unbiased product comparison on the Internet; moreover, the results depend on the version tested, and the data used to test it upon, and this can vary dramatically from one site to another.

Certainly, with AVG and the anti-spyware applications, you should be confident about your protection, especially if you habitually practice security best practices, and are careful about what---and from where---you download files.

As with many firewalls, there is a learning curve during which you must teach the firewall what to allow, forbid, or to ask permission each time. You can save yourself some time by using the Application Monitor; this will allow you to set permissions by application. Secondly, when you see a dialogue box pop up with an alert, and if you are reasonably confident that access should be granted, be sure to check the box "remember my answer for this application."

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 majax79

majax79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 05:54 AM

Thank you for your advice. I did figure out how to get emule and utorrent to work.

I'm so amazed that free products can be this good. I still have my norton firewall software as a backup.

1 thing I could use help on with comodo is blocking these ads that popup on myspace. It seems to be the only website that these occur on. Out of the programs I mentioned above, do any of them have a popup blocker?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:07 AM

To get uTorrent up and running go to the "Network Monitor" panel in Comodo and add the following:

Rule for TCP/UDP protocol

Action = Allow
Protocol = TCP or UDP
Direction = In
Source IP = Any
Remote IP = your IP adress (or "Any" )
Source port = Any
Remote port = the port uTorrent uses for the TCP/UDP connections

You must then move the rule up above the default rule "Block IP in" because Comodo applies the rules from top to bottom.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 majax79

majax79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 07:04 AM

I accidently deleted the default rule. Can anyone tell me how to set that up again?

#6 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 06 June 2007 - 03:58 PM

I accidently deleted the default rule. Can anyone tell me how to set that up again?

I use McAfee Total Protection. It is low on system resources and does everything Norton 360 does, and then some. It is a bit expensive, but you can find it in the boxed version for cheap on reseller sites. I highly recommend this product.

By the way, never use emule or utorrent. They are full of viruses/spyware. Just a little FYI.
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 07 June 2007 - 12:35 AM

You can find the default rules for Comodo here.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users