Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hijackthis Log: Another Computer - Crashes After Wireless Connection To Internet...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nestalawe

Nestalawe

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 04 June 2007 - 10:01 AM

Hey Folks,

Another friend's computer here, crashes badly after connecting to the Internet through a wireless connection, can you let me know what is dirty here?

Cheers!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 3:42:20 p.m., on 4/06/2007
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\atievxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\inst32\inst32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Mouse\Amoumain.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_11\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\kernels32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\regscan.exe
C:\Program Files\RALINK\RT2500 Wireless LAN Card\Installer\WINXP\RaConfig2500.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\dlh9jkd1q6.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\dlh9jkd1q7.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\taskmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {73364D99-1240-4dff-B12A-67E448373148} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_11\bin\ssv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WheelMouse] Amoumain.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_11\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [System] C:\WINDOWS\System32\kernels32.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Regscan] C:\WINDOWS\System32\regscan.exe
O4 - Global Startup: RaConfig2500.lnk = C:\Program Files\RALINK\RT2500 Wireless LAN Card\Installer\WINXP\RaConfig2500.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_11\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_11\bin\ssv.dll
O12 - Plugin for .mpg: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin3.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: stp68_2007 - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\stp68_2007.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: winsys2freg - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Settings\winsys2f.dll
O23 - Service: 32-bit Installation Host (inst32) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\inst32\inst32.exe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 09 June 2007 - 10:11 PM

Hello Nestalawe,

Your friend's computer is terribly infected. Frankly this is no surprise, as I can see no antivirus program or firewall running, and Windows has not been updated -- no Service Pack, neither 1 nor 2, has been installed. I see where his Java has been updated more recently; this tells me that he (or she) is aware of updates and it makes me wonder even more why the operating system has no service packs. The most common reason for this is that the computer is running an illegal copy of Windows.

In this case, however, that is a secondary issue.

At least one of the infections on this machine is a bot trojan :thumbsup:

A bot trojan is a program that is installed without your knowledge and enables a hacker, sitting at another computer perhaps thousands of miles away, to control your computer so that it does what he wants -- it becomes his "bot."

Bots can be used to launch denial-of-service attacks (This is where hundreds of bots simultaneously bombard a website with requests for information, overwhelming its capacity to respond and, thereby, shutting it down) and for other sorts of mischief. The bot can also do mass spam mailing, download files to the computer, or upload files and data, including passwords and other private information.

For these reasons it is very important that, starting immediately, this machine be kept off the internet and physically disconnected from any network it may be part of.

If you use or have used this computer for online banking or shopping or for accessing or storing personal information such as school records, then you need to take steps to protect your information that may have been compromised. I recommend these steps for action:

How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?

This is something i don't like to recommend normally, but with a computer this badly infected, the best solution for your friend's safety would be to reformat the hard drive and reinstall Windows.

Please read the following link very carefully:

When Should I Format, How Should I Reinstall

Here are some more links to help you decide:

Security Management - May 2004
Help: I Got Hacked. Now What Do I Do?
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community...gmt/sm0504.mspx

Security Management - July 2004
Help: I Got Hacked. Now What Do I Do? Part II
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community...gmt/sm0704.mspx

Only your friend can make this decision, he (or she) knows the uses this computer has been put to. But please consider carefully before deciding against a reformat. If you do make that decision I will do my best to help you disinfect it, but you must understand that once a machine has been taken over by this type of malware, it can never be declared clean.

If you choose to format and reinstall see this link for instructions:
http://www.cyberwalker.net/faqs/how-tos/reinstall-faq.html

Please note that, after reinstalling, the system will need to be updated with Service Pack 2 and all subsequent security updates, and a firewall and Antivirus will have to be installed. If these steps are not taken, it will only be a matter of time -- and probably not much time --before the computer is in this condition again.

Please let me know whatever decision your friend makes.

Dave

#3 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 17 June 2007 - 07:18 PM

Due to lack of feedback, this topic is now closed. If you want it re-opened, please PM me and put the url in your request.

This applies to the original poster only. Everyone else please start a new topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users